1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

car won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by misterdean, Sep 17, 2022.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you ever checked the 12v and connections?

2. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    checked what exactly? i took them off and put them back on. nothing looked unusual.

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i did find my 12v ground bolt was a bit loose on my wifes prius when we first got it. I just tightened it up to the right rear frame with the 10mm nut IIRC. no issues since then.

4. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i took it on a short drive this morning to feel it out. no problems. i then took it on a little cruise of 45 miles. got it up to 68mph and saw 54mpg. still no problems.

5. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So. I have reread this thread and I have had some thoughts. My wifes 08 had similar problems and they were 2 fold. Her TPMS light was one as well....also a bad drivers front. dead battery. I just bit the bullet and bought all 4 new sensors and then next time she needed tires I just gave the 4 new ones to the tire installer and they installed them when they put the new tires on. they resynced the new sensors to the system. Problem solved and I had the job done at Walmart and they didn't charge me an extra other than the $25 per tire to mount and balance them. She also called me one day and had gotten the Red Triangle Of Death or. RTOD.....and she heard the hybrid fan kick on on the back right passenger vent air intake. She drove home 4 miles and turned the car off and let it cool. It did throw a code which I read with the paid version of the Dr. Prius App which I installed on my iphone. I bought and still use the Carista OBD2 code reader I bought off here.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-carista-parts/carista-bluetooth-obd2-adapter/cobd-bt24~cra/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7eSZBhB8EiwA60kCW6i_WcqosiAqggJpX1zetrgEYz2mba8c6O26DZW66vHN-FezRH41wBoC0zkQAvD_BwE
    it did have the P0A93 which is the inverter coolant pump failure. After letting the car cool down she drove it about 15 miles with no issue and no problems....until it did it again 2 days later. Her coolant pump would work intermittently whenever it felt like it and that wasn't going to work for her 50 mile commute to work. I had heard horror stories about $50 cheap pumps from Amazon so I paid $168.00 at the Toyota dealership and installed it in about an hour. I would remove the front bumper housing to get to the drivers headlight and removed it completely....gently hose clamped the hoses to avoid spilling coolant and used electrical contact cleaner on the cars socket.. I cleaned it up really well. ( i didn't use the new bracket that comes with the new pump. I just removed the 3 bolts with a socket and a flex head connector)
    Tested the new pump before putting the headlight in and then cleared the code in the Dr. Prius App. I topped off the coolant reservoir to replace the 1/2 cup of coolant I lost and bled the air out of the coolant nipple.
    I learned that these pumps go bad about 100k. Hers died at 119K. My prius has 121K so to prevent my future headache I replaced mine as well when I had the day off. If your prius at 124K still has the original pump you are lucky and it WILL die on you. I would replace it ASAP with an OEM. This is just my experience but I learned a lot and want to pass on the knowledge. This also helped me know how to remove the headlights and for Christmas last year I replaced my wifes worn out Halogen housings with new ones. She was thrilled and the car looks so much better.

6. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    put 100 miles on it. still no problems. had to take a photo of mpg cause i haven't seen this mpg since i first got it. (different driving conditions) i'm assuming its safe to believe whatever the problem was my hybrid battery is healthy?

Attached Files:

#46 misterdean, Oct 7, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    ColoradoCrow likes this.
  7. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes wow 100 miles and no repeat problems. I would say you have solved it. there will be others. Part of older Prius ownership.