1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

carb icing -- small engine -- any brilliant cures

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Jan 11, 2017.

1. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true, but with any significant fall of rain or snow the runoff would wash all the salt away. Wouldn't do the trees much good either.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but.....I wasn't suggesting covering the air intake on the carb; just some of the louvers on the case, so that air would be drawn over more of the engine, and get warmed up. Surely warmer air would help?

cyberpriusII likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've noticed the latest crop of Li-ion cordless blowers and related tools (from outfits like Ego Power+) are not just for messing around any more. (I replaced an older cordless blower with the Ego one this last fall, and doing the leaves I had to be careful not to blow the grass out of the ground, which had never been a problem before.) No icing, no fueling, no oiling, no rope-pulling....

Ego, usefully, sells a range of battery sizes depending on the capacity you need (and the weight you'll tolerate), all interchangeable, and a couple flavors of charger depending on how fast you want to charge. The chargers directly fan-cool the battery while charging it, and so can charge faster than used to be typical. (For a big area, I'm not sure whether I'd prefer a big battery, or two smaller ones, one on the charger while one's in use.)

Might sound like I work for Ego, but no, just satisfied so far.

-Chap

bwilson4web and cyberpriusII like this.
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got home a few minutes early tonight (Thursday). Husband Kevin decided to grill tri-tip (he's from California and grills even in sub-freezing weather). So, while I relax and wait with an IPA and watch the temp fall from 30F to 27F...

Can't use any chemicals on the road. State of Oregon Department of Forestry frowns on that in my zoning area (Forest Conservation).
    And, honestly, this type of ice and snow only happens every several years or so. Most of the time it is 42F high and 35F low with rain 24/7 from late September through May.

Of course, maybe this is the NEW climate with global warming.

Anyway, I was just curious on the blower project about the icing issue. I have had it happen a couple of times before (several years past), but never really investigated.

The nice thing is, Hubby gets to drive the Prius in this weather and I drive his car. His Toyota Camry does not have that wonderful traction control that the Gen II cars are infamous for and stall at the slightly excuse. So, he gets to park at the end of the pavement and walk the 3/4 mile home through the ice/snow all this week (don't have tire chains for the Prius, nor are we planning to buy any).

Only downside, is the Camry has a manual transmission, which I can drive perfectly well, except, I hate backing up with a manual.
    Cheers,
    Kris

RCO likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Would ashes have a useful effect and be environmentally OK?

Bob Wilson

6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wood ash should be ok as it's natural, but mineral ash would not be encouraged imho.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I suggested it only for ice to keep it from building up on the gravel. Easier to keep ice off than get rid of it. Unless you have a torch or flame thrower. Maybe I'll test my propane torch out if we get an ice storm.

Not as a pretreatment since the ash can just fall between the gravel. Fertilizers work as ice melt. I've used old lawn spread as such. Don't know how soluable they are for making a solution, buying bags of sodium nitrate might be questioned.

But will it warm up enough? Blocking part of the grill means the amount of the air coming in hasn't change, but it will be moving faster now.

Freezing temps will be hard on the batteries. They won't last as long, and might provide less power. When we got our electric snowblower a few years ago there wasn't anything cordless that was made for winter use. Corded isn't a solution because of the area though

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe some entrepreneur will come up with a short, heavy-gauge cable with the matching blade connectors, letting you wear the battery under your parka. Shoot, there goes my patent.

Or maybe the battery will be warmed enough naturally by the current flow. Years back, there was a post on here somewhere about how quickly a cold Prius HV battery could be brought to normal temperature just by supplying or drawing a moderate current.

-Chap

RCO likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I hope you meant "ammonium nitrate." As long as you're not buying a petroleum liquid from the same vendor at the same time. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Trollbait and RCO like this.
  10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I used to describe my employers innovating 'recycling' of used diesel and motor oil in ANFO, not so much anymore. They are still recycling, but we do not explain in any detail.

(good moves sections of earth up and then down in same place, bad shoots earth in a trajectory elsewhere, potentially hurting someone or collapsing the slope of the mine)

RCO likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A hybrid battery is in the passenger cabin, or trunk at worst, which shelters it. Plus, it's also big. The little battery on a blower will be right out in the cold.
    Now a cordless blower won't be completely unless for this job, but I think @cyberpriusII will be going back in to recharge as often as the carb iced up.

RCO likes this.
  12. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which could be a problem. Most of the time with this type of storm, our electrical service takes a weeks or more holiday.
    kris

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm never a fan of cordless power tools, or lawn mowers. Love the corded ones though, over gas, so simple. Strange how the local hardware flyers have the first 4~5 pages just wall-to-wall cordless tools and gizmos: I just glaze over flipping past all that stuff.

In Kris's situation though seems like gas is the only reliable way to go.

RCO likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wasn't a fan for a long time. The Toros I had before prior to these Egos I would have described as "barely adequate" (and only because I have a small urban space), plus Toro played games with battery specs that led to me crossing them off my list.

But looking at the trend indicated by the latest offerings, as usual, technology has a way of outpacing my prejudices....

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah could be, I'm a bit of a luddite. I recall a few years back a guy was installing our new internet connection, down in the crawl space. He pressed me into service, swapping batteries on some external charger. It's kinda nuts to drive a few screws and then have to swap packs. Everything I have is within reach of power cords, but corded vs cordless, it's plain to see the latter is winning. I guess contractors like them.

I get the sense the cordless are going to be a lot tougher on the environment, and cost consumers more in the long run. They seem much more short-term, disposable.

RCO likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you possess the skills, swapping out old cells in the battery pack isn't tough.
    The question I have, is will my DeWalt charger work with NiMH once the NiCads go? I suspect yes.

17. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, 7 p.m. PST on the West Coast of the USA and I am still dealing with what they call Cascade Concrete.

The snow/ice on the drive is rock-hard. I think I could probably drive the Prius up, but my husband says no. Walking on it, I have total traction in regular boots, but my shovel does not even make a dent in most places.

Supposed to warm to 41F on Sunday. I don't think that will be enough, but we will see.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, tips, rumblings, etc.
    Kris

RCO likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    aid the melting with an axe or sledge hammer

19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hang on. She's not a brutish lumberjack ya know. She's a young woman with a badly sprained wrist. With the best will in the world, I wouldn't want her wielding a hefty axe or sledgehammer until she's good as new. (y):)

#39 RCO, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I talked husband Kevin into going out a few moments ago with a pulaski. He did spend 2.5 hours yesterday digging out the collapsed ditch on the county road that the county does not maintain.

He missed the first half of the Seahawks game, which was no great loss considering.

While he may swat at the ice in frustration today, his real chore is to clear the debris clogging about 40 yards of ditch on our driveway. It was all clear before the last ice storm. Normally I would help, but I am still on injured list. :D

Got to get it clear before the four inches of rain hit on Monday/Tuesday.

And, with the temp at 28F at 11 a.m., I doubt we will edge much past 32F today so I think the ice will still be around until the rainstorm hits.