1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"CARB" kills classic imports

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jgills240, May 13, 2007.

1. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I can either try to sell my baby to some in state ignorant or out of state, or convert it to EV. I know there has to be somebody on here who's done the electro automotive conversion on an old rabbit or porsche or something. Just trying to collect experiences, tips, stories, advice, etc....

[​IMG]

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Google electric conversions, or check out the links page on Darell's web site.

This place might be able to help you. And good luck! It's a lot of work, but people have converted their own cars to EV. You'll be part of a much more exclusive club than Prius drivers.

3. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There isn't a "grandfather clause" to simply prevent first time registrations of such vehicles? Perhaps you should mark up the price of your car as a "perfect classic and one of a kind representation of history" and hire a very good lawyer to sell it to the state of CA for a million bucks... ;)

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The problem is it's British. It would be grandfathered if it was a true US vehicle.

Nate

5. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replys guys. The grassroots site is pretty good. I was hoping there was somebody on here who has done a conversion themselves. I have done a lot of research on the internet, and in libraries, but there's no substitiute for dialogue from the horse's mouth.

Sure it's a British car, but it was built in NZ, that's gotta be worth something! :lol:

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgills240 @ May 14 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]441785[/snapback]</div>
    I think a few PriusClub SD guys participated in a class at San Dieguito High that did a conversion. We heard Abran Quevedo speak at our meeting when we went to see Who Killed the Electric Car.

Here's the link. There's probably a number you can call to contact him with info on any future builds and how much.

Little Red Electric Vehicle

If North San Diego County isn't to far a drive, you might contact him and see if he plans any future classes. You can even offer your car as the guinea pig.

7. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 14 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]442039[/snapback]</div>
    Dang! That's the coolest! I wish I had heard about it while I was down there. Must not have been hanging out with the right crowds.... Maybe that's why I had to move to LA too :unsure: