1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

carbon capture canister needs replacing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by westcoastdriver, May 30, 2012.

1. westcoastdriver

westcoastdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was informed last month that the switch on the carbon canister was damaged by dirt and gravel and the cost was almost $900.00 C . they said it was from driving on gravel roads. Come on! surely Toyota makes a car that is capable of driving on gravel roads. what about the sand and dirt we experience in Winter driving up North. is this a common occurance in the 2010 Gen 111 prius? any one else had this problem. Should I be writing to Toyota Canada and complaining. I do not do any 4x4 gravel running. just typical rural Ontario driving. thanks

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I do remember at least one other post from someone who had a canister problem but search function isn't up to speed so I can't find it. I drive my Prius on dirt and gravel roads from time to time and have had no problems yet.

If they are telling you that it's your fault because you drive on gravel I think they're way out of line. Any car sold should be designed and built well enough for an occasional foray down a gravel road.

Here is a link to other threads, found using Google search: issues with carbon capture canister switch | PriusChat

Also, if you do have to pay for this yourself I think you can find an entire canister including the switch for a lot less than the price you were quoted.

3. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only carbon canister I know of is the one in the EVAP system that captures hybrocarbons from the fumes displaced from the gas tank when you refill it. I suspect that the switch they are talking about is one of the solenoid valves that control flow in the EVAP system. The $900 may be for the complete canister with associated valving. It's also possible to damage the carbon canister by overfilling the gas tank (manually feeding in gas after the first or second clickoff of the nozzle). Doesn't sound as if you have been doing that.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What flow is being regulated ?

While OP may have been told bumpy roads are the problem, I'd like to hear from him that he does not overfill the fuel tank.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The regulated flow is the flow of fuel and displaced air in the fuel tank. The Prius fuel system switches configurations when powered off to allow for proper refueling. Along with the risk of fire, this is the main reason that you should always power down before refueling.

Tom

6. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Air and vapor flows within the system. I think the valves don't regulate it as much as shunt it from here to there. There are several valves near the tank; see the diagrams here:
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid13.pdf

Me too. He probably doesn't do that but it would be worth eliminating that possibility.