1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

issues with carbon capture canister switch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by westcoastdriver, May 11, 2012.

1. westcoastdriver

westcoastdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010 gen 111 with nav system etc, the other day a orange check engine light came on, I took it to our Toyota Dealer and they said that I had mud and gravel????? up in the car, near the fuel intake area?? and that the carbon capture canister/switch was damaged by the dirt and I need to get it replaced. I asked if I could simply not make the repair (which they are quoting me as a $700+ Canadian + labour) due to the fact that the electronics system would eventually not be able to read the H Carbon readings and the car would burn more fuel.
    is this a regular problem with this model. I dont do any 4x4 off road running but I live in rural Ontario Canada and do occasionally drive on gravel roads . the service fellow said it wasnt due to my gravel laneway. we are pretty upset by the news about dirt and gravel getting that far up into a system.
    any advice or words of comfort? thanks

2. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if this is the same area this person had trouble with.
    Look at this post.
    They also mention the fuel line area was an issue.