1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo Box on Prius Gen 3. Yakima skybox carbonite 16, areoblade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by TexAmi, Oct 11, 2018.

1. TexAmi

TexAmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I noticed no one had posted good pictures of a Yakima Skybox 16 Carbonite Cargo box on a Prius Gen 3. I ordered the box online and picked it up at the store to save 20%. I already had the aeroblade Thule roof bars. The pictures will show the location of the bars on the glass roof. I moved the box as far forward as possible to allow clearance for the stock antenna and the hatchback door. You might be able to adjust the Thule clamps so the sunroof will open, but I did not want to chance loosening the clamps that much. Notice the box did not over hang enough to obstruct vision.

I recently took a 2500mile trip and lost about 5mpg with the box. The faster you drive the mpg will drop. When driving 80mph, I lost 6-7mpg. When driving 40-60mph, I lost 4-5mpg. I also had around 100-120lbs in the box. I rained and rained but not a drop entered the box nor the Prius.

I have a 2013 Prius package 4.

Happy Travels....Enjoy:)

Attached Files:

#1 TexAmi, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How did all that weight up top make handling feel on long downhill curves at freeway speed?

3. TexAmi

TexAmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did not notice a difference in handling with the top box. The Kuat Sherpa 2.0 Tray Hitch Mount 2 Bike Rack makes more of a difference to me because the weight is hanging off the back of the car making it ride lower. The bike rack doesn't effect driving, but it lowers the car which is noticeable when entering and exiting the car.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Vergh

Vergh New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for posting the photos! I just ordered a Skybox 16 Carbonite and had a mini panic attack after ordering because I thought it would be too big. Looks great on your car, can wait to get mine set up too.