1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo capacity, compared to 2016?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Danny Troy, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I know the cargo capacity has to be less than the 2016, but by how much? Also, what are the dimensions floor to roof in that area?

Funny, unlike the 2016's with the lithium packs, where the folded rear seats are higher than the floor, the Prime folded rear seats are lower than the floor. That all said, I'm leaning toward the Prime and would love to see one in person. Is this actually something you can see and sit in at the NY Auto Show? If so, I'll be attending.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can see the outside, the doors are locked.

3. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thanks. Guess that will be good enough. I'll be attending.

MERGE, BTW, I see you have a plug-in. How much cargo space did you lose, if any? I'm not that familiar with the Toyota plug-in, although I did own a Volt! Also, you have a base model. Does that base model plug-in compare favorably with the better equipped standard Prius. Probably apples and oranges, comparing the Gen 3 and Gen 4, since the Gen 4 offers a lot more models to choose from.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hatch space is the same, you lose most of the under floor storage tray, and the spare tyre.

the base didn't get power seat, tech package.

gen 4 prime supposedly coming in 3 levels instead of 2.

5. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Interesting. I'm hoping the base Prime will be equipped well enough for me, since that will be about my max budget. That's assuming it's about the same or a little above the price of the 4-Touring.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the PiP1 the space lost was spare tire port + about 1-ft3 of the 2-ft3 space below the false floor.

For Prime, we do not know numbers but I am guesstimating about 4-ft3 lost out of 17-ft3 in the rear hatch area (comparing to the no-spare 2 eco).

Notice that Toyota quotes 27-ft3 for the 2-eco but we do not know how they get that number (EPA cargo space is a complex spec). Instead I am trying to quote real ft3 number in the back hatch (the old fashioned cargo space definition). There is no false floor in the Gen4/Prime like we had in Gen2/3.

Here is how I guessimated:
    Base case cube = 2.57 x 2.57 x 2.57 = 17ft3
    Prime Estimate = 2.57 x 2.57 x 2.00 = 13.2 ft3

#6 wjtracy, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we are all awaiting the pricing, i hope you are incorrect about the base.

8. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    wjtracy, I can live with those numbers. I did ok with my Volt, which was a smaller cargo area, so I should be ok with the PIP. I rarely need the 3rd rear seat, so not a problem there either. I'm thinking performance should be better than the standard Prius, so that's a major plus.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What would your guessimate for the gen 3 be? That would be a more realistic comparison for a current Prius owner considering the Prime. EPA, the 27-ft3 is five more than the gen 3.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have most of the old figures from Toyota but I am too lazy to go back in time.

I think something like this:
    Gen2 16-ft3 includes all (under floor/over tonneau) space
    Gen3 17-ft3 (+1ft3 over Gen2 from the classic Toyota 2010 Prius Technology YouTube video)
    Gen4 without spare 502-liter = 17.7-ft3...about 1.5-ft3 less with spare (no sub-floor in Gen4)
    so I am guessing 13-ft3 for Prime...similar to Gen2 not counting the under floor space in Gen2

Gen3 switched over to EPA Cargo Space for specs ("la-la-land"). I used to go to Toyota Canada website for the "real" numbers, but Canada has starting using US numbers. So EU or Japan should give real numbers now.

By my thinking, the 2010 video was the last time we heard any real specifics from Toyota USA about true USA cargo space, and they did not quote the newer EPA cargo space figures at that time.

#10 wjtracy, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  11. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What do you have now? Are you thinking of switching from a Volt to PP? Whaaa? Just for better (non-released) mpgs in HV mode (obviously bad assumption here)?

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The best way to measure seems to be the standard used for sedan trunks, which is used for the EPA. It simply sees how many standard sized boxes will fit in the trunk. I guess using a tape measure for wagons and SUVs was deemed easier or cheaper. But there are multiple standards there(the one for EPA isn't the most current), and even when the same standard is used, different technicians can still measure in different spots for different results.

Regardless of measurement, the gen 4 and Prime might end with less usable space for some people than the gen3, because the hatch went to more sedanish from kammback in profile.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well without the subfloor Gen4 can potentially be more usable open space, but overall similar to Gen3.
    But yes Gen4 with spare could be slight less vol in the back than Gen3.
    Some liked the subfloor divider in Gen2/3. Prime could be a little less than PiP with of course double the battery size.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The divider/fake floor seems to be the norm in wagons and hatches that I have had. A Matrix, Prius, HHR, and Sonic have all had such to get the floor reasonably level. There is actually a sizable amount of space underneath in the Sonic. The HHR had the cleverest cover/fake floor. Flat on one side, the other had two recessed trays with small tie down hooks. It could also be installed halfway up the cargo walls to form a shelf with space underneath for shopping bags.
    [​IMG] That's the tray side in the shelf position, and the following is of the flat side, showing how far up the seat backs it was.
    [​IMG]

15. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    21.6 square feet, 2015 was the same + 3 square feet or so using the subfloor.
    2016 Prius Cargo space goes from 24.6 - 27.4 depending on your trim.

Supposedly it goes down to 20.4 (7 less than the 27.4).

So it is odd that it's less than the previous gen. It might be negligible, but I think it's a factor considering the shape of the back being the limiting factor now. If they add 1 cubic feet and make it just about the same as the previous gen, the folded seats might lay flat with the cargo space on an even level lol.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but look at the Japan specs for Gen4 I believe it's 502 liters = 17.7-ft3 in back behind rear seat (no spare), and something like 457-liter with spare = 16.1-ft3 (both from my memory so caution advised).

The relatively new USA EPA spec (my guess) may include putting seats down and adding space under windows. That's why Gen2 to Gen3 went from 16 to 21 (spec change) and I am thinking the shrinking rear Gen4 windows adds 3-ft3 in EPA's new method. My assumption is every bone in EPA's body wants to shade specs to make hybrids and plug-ins sound better on paper.

17. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I leased a 2012 Volt and put 45k miles on it, so I got to know it pretty well. I bought an '08 Prius to hold me over, until the Gen 4 Prius and Gen 2 Volt was released. I bought the Prius with 187k on it and have about 225k on it now. The Volt was a great car, but I never trusted it as a long term car. A great lease, but for keeping it 6 or more years, I wouldn't trust it. Many other owners have a different opinion, but that was my gut feeling (not to mention a major drive train problem, that was covered under warranty). My '08 Prius is tighter and more rattle free than my Volt was. Not crazy about the Gen 2 Volt styling either.

bisco likes this.
  18. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't need any specs too see that cargo space has significantly gone down in the Prime compared to the regular Prius or gen. 1 Plug-in .,but that's not whole story .
    The big problem is that the left over space is more user unfriendly than ever !
    The cargo floor in Prius was allways quite high compared to other cars .
    Stacking two suitcases on top of one another could be risky in a gen. 3 if not tied down properly while having to brake hard,but in the Prime this should be near to impossible .
    Even putting in the suitcases upright could be a problem because lack of hight from the the floor to the roof and maybe the hatch will not close .
    I am very surprised Toyota didn't try to keep as much cargo room as possible,knowing they had to put a bigger battery inside of the Prime .
    All they had to do was divide it !

Felt likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...but if you have EU specs for Gen4 cargo space, Prime, as well as Gen3 for that matter, it could help because here we've gone to a new cargo space spec system that is semi-useless.

20. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Prime vs. gen 4 Prius merge :

Screenshot_2016-03-26-19-52-27.png Prime vs. gen 4. Prius : 2016-03-30 23.02.48.png

bisco and spwolf like this.