1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo capacity Prime 2020/2021 vs 2017

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by pakitt, Feb 9, 2021.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Compared to the original Prime 2017, that seated 4, does the Prime seating 5 have a bigger trunk and more cargo capacity?
    Or otherwise said, is the Prime 2020/1 battery smaller in volume and allows not only for an extra seat, but also for a bit more trunk space?

2. NHPrime

NHPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Trunk space is exactly the same - there's a 3rd seat in the second row where the fixed arm rest used to be. But the seat back is unchanged, meaning the trunk is unchanged.

pakitt likes this.
  3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the info. But then I am puzzled by Toyota engineers... Why put a fixed arm rest that doesn't serve any purpose other than occupy an empty volume to offer a feature that can easily be achieved, like on the Gen4, by simply lowering down an armrest from the seat back??

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Load capacity and liability?

I believe the rated load capacity does not realistically support 5 passengers, barely even 4. But that doesn't stop drunk partying teenagers from doing it anyway, even when no seatbelt is present, then surviving kin suing over lack of a seatbelt when the center rear passenger is launched through the windshield during a crash.

That is how one of my previous econocars was re-rated from a (realistic but cramped) 4 passenger car for the model year I bought it, to a (very unrealistic) 5 passenger car a couple model years later, even without getting any bigger. Either they block that center position so that no one wants to sit their (e.g. original Chevy Volt and Prius Prime), or put a seat belt there for legal CYA.

And what car maker or seller is going to label it a 4 passenger when it has 5 sets of seatbelts?

It looks to me that the engineers initially too the realistic route, blocking the center seat. But after customer feedback, the marketing department ordered that the block be removed.

The regular Liftback has a heavier load capacity rating than the Prime.

#4 fuzzy1, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The reason given by Toyota was that they would have needed to re-engineer it to add a seat, but leaving it blank would have been considered a 'seat' by the safety experts who regulate things like seat belts and air bags.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On release, it was said a fifth seat would require additional support for the weight when asked. The battery does add some weight to a gen4 chassis.

pakitt likes this.
  7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So this means that the Prime that seats 5 has a lighter/smaller battery than the original 4-seat Prime launched in 2017?

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No, they (hopefully) added the reinforcement.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When this first came up, I thought they had not increased the load capacity.

But rechecking, by golly they did: 2020 Prius Prime Owner's Manual specs in section 9:

upload_2021-2-10_19-59-19.png

vs the 2017 Prime rating:
    upload_2021-2-10_20-2-35.png

MTN and Trollbait like this.