1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo mat plus accessory: Is it worth buying

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by AshleyTPriusv, Mar 14, 2016.

1. teamsc10190

teamsc10190 Stereo Prii (2011 and 2006)

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    From my understanding; 75% of the US cars are equipped with a spare tire that means the five-piece cargo tray jigsaw puzzle solution for cargo liner. The other 25% of US cars will have a tire repair kit that means the three-piece cargo liner. Toyota Canada's one-piece up-seatback solution apparently fits both spare tire and tire repair kit models as Toyota Canada only offers one Prius cargo liner.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Up here, all except the Technology w/ Advanced package have spare tires and the top model is only sold in 3 metro markets so the majority of Gen 4 Prius will have spare tires in Canada.

Here are the equivalent U.S. models in Canada

Base = Two
    Base w/ Upgrade Package = Two w/ TSS-P and heated front seats
    Technology = Three w/ TSS-P, moonroof, heated front seats
    Technology w/ Advanced package = Four w/ ATP, IPA, ICS.
    Touring = Three Touring

3. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you talking about 75% of model levels or 75% of cars produced?

If the former, that's wrong, it's 50%:
    three models (2 ECO, 4, and 4 Touring) have no spare, three models (2, 3, and 3 Touring) carry a spare. You can look it up on toyota.com

If you're talking about units that will be produced for the US in 2016, how did you get access to Toyota's production plans? Most likely they will not produce equal numbers of each model.

You said you are planning to wait a year to buy a Gen 4, so all this may have changed by the time you are ready to buy.

#23 JohnF, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @teamsc10190
    As promised, here's a pic of the Canadian cargo liner. It is one piece with seatback sections. Sorry, couldn't quite get the edges within frame. It's a very tight fit for the cargo floor portion. (Compared to a cargo mat). The seatback portions are close enough to the shape of the seatback. There's a bit of leeway in coverage towards the side (where the cut out is for the latch).

A nice touch is that there are holes for the LATCH car seats access points so you can use the rubber mat and have car seats attached.

View attachment 107642

teamsc10190 likes this.
  5. teamsc10190

teamsc10190 Stereo Prii (2011 and 2006)

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    75% of volume

Merged.

Thanks so much for posting an image. Seems that the Canadians thought this one through a bit better. The Canadian one piece cargo tray seems preferable to the US five piece jigsaw puzzle IMO. Prius Cargo Tray.jpg

#25 teamsc10190, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
    pjm877 and Rhyne like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only advantage I can think of with the U.S. set up is that the seatback portion doesn't interfere with cargo space. In the Canadian version, the accordion part between the seatback and the cargo floor portions folds and intrudes into the cargo area. BUT the seatback is reclined so one could argue that it's just filling in the empty space.

7. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes the US version has those cutouts too. Hard to see in the photo but they are there. In both cases not actually "holes", really "places to cut out".

The US version has a continuous deep lip around the entire rear piece. From the photos, the Canadian one appears to have a shallower lip, and has gaps at the rear tiedowns and at the split between the seats. I can't see what happens at the outer edges of the hinge areas.

I'm more likely to spill something in the rear area, carrying groceries, etc. So I'm happy to have more protection where I am most likely to need it.

The US one is rubber. The Canadian one looks plastic, like the Weathertech ones?

A few other advantages for the US version: slightly cheaper ($99 vs $108), no shipping charge (to the US) when bought from the Prius Chat shop, no hassle to buy (in the US).

Everything is a compromise, and as an actual OWNER of a Cargo Tray Plus it suits my needs admirably.

I think we've beaten this topic to death, don't you?

#27 JohnF, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it appears to have a shallower lip all around. The nice thing about the U.S. version is that if you do spill something, it's easier to remove and wash because it's just the base, while the Canadian model will require removing the entire ensemble. Maybe they thought that Canadians tend to carry more stuff with the seats down? (I'm thinking bikes and surfboards).

The Canadian one is rubber-faced and plastic-backed. It's very light. Toyota Canada has been lightening the rubber mats every few years. Our 2002 Camry all-weather floor mats were hefty. The 2010 Prius were lighter and the 2016 ones are featherweight in comparison.

Yep. Pretty much everything that needs to be talked about, has been discussed :)

9. galownia

galownia Previous master neon mechanic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just installed mine in my two eco. A steal for 99. Latch cutouts are there. You have to cute them yourself. It appears that if you don't have a spare tire, it is a 3 piece affair, not 5.

10. unmesh59

unmesh59 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the part number for the Canadian version?

11. Prius_noob18888

Prius_noob18888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ordered mine from prius shop and got it delivered to Singapore though my Prius will only be here in June

JohnF likes this.
  12. unmesh59

unmesh59 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just picked up my Two ECO and the all weather mats and the cargo mat were included!

13. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What we're talking about is the rubber Cargo Tray Plus, not the All Weather Cargo Mat. Also, the rubber All Weather Floor Liners rather than the All Weather Mats (which I got the dealer to take back and credit me for). You can see them at the PriusChat shop.

The nomenclature is confusing but the "mats" are basically outdoor carpeting whereas the "tray" and "liners" are pieces of rubber. I need the rubber liners because of all the dirt I drag into the car from walking the dog at left.

OOPS, I see now that the title of this thread says "Cargo Mat Plus" when it should say "Cargo Tray Plus" instead.

#33 JohnF, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  14. unmesh59

unmesh59 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did get the All Weather Floor Liners and the Cargo Tray Plus with the car.

JohnF likes this.
  15. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great! They didn't come with mine, obviously. Hopefully the dealer mounted the pieces on the back of the rear seatbacks for you.

16. Chris J Taylor

Chris J Taylor New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a question about the one-piece Canadian version that I just bought. It had a "corrugated" section between the back floor section and the parts that go up the back seats. One picture I saw on the Toyota Canada web site (sorry, I can't post the link until I have posted more - if you want to see how it looks with the back seats up go to Toyota Canada, choose the Prius, then accessories and they have a picture of the cargo liner in place) - shows this with the corrugated part laying over the top. I had sort of assumed the corrugated section should be tucked under the floor section. Most of the time, the back seats are up, so exposing the corrugated sections is just messy and if you do spill anything there, it would be much harder to clean up. However, with them tucked under, there is sort of a lump at the back under the floor portion. Anyone with an opinion as to why one way would be better than the other?

Thanks, Chris

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends what your uses are. If you regularly keep the seats up, the U.S. version is better because the cargo floor section is one piece with a raised lip so it's easy to remove and wash.

If you regularly fold down the seats to carry larger items, then the Canadian one would be a better choice because it has that accordion section that protects the gaps between the seat and the cargo floor. However, because it's one piece from the seatback to the rear bumper, it's very large and unwieldy to remove and clean.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Still voting for a good ol' blanket. Very versatile.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  19. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Off topic, but she looks so adorable... I just want to go up and give her a big hug, mud and all.... :)

20. sjr14221

sjr14221 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It states that the cargo tray plus shown in the prius store fits both trunk styles and is $114. Has it been changed since this thread started? Or do they just ship the correct one based on what trim level you specify?