1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo Organizer Alternative *ON SALE*

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by yadax3, Oct 30, 2009.

1. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cargo Organizer Alternative

For the past couple of years I've been searching for a better way to organize the cargo area in our Prius(es). I've tried the cargo organizer for our Honda Pilot, which is very similar to the one for a Prius, and I tried the cargo net but wasn't happy with either because they didn't accomodate my groceries very well and were often in the way. I also needed something to keep my collection of reusable shopping bags organized but easily accessible.

Recently I found these 'trunk trays' at Containerstore.com and they really fit the Prius cargo area nicely. The Container Store > Trunk Trays

They have rubber studded feet to keep them from slipping around and they nest or stack when you need them out of the way. They are also very affordable.

[​IMG]

Redthorne, comatoes, AKMARK and 6 others like this.
  2. Bill075

Bill075 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you recall what size you purchased?
    Thanks

3. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1 large, 1 small (back row) and 2 medium (front row).

4. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you buy these online or in the store? Thanks!

5. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought them online because there isn't a store in our area.

If you have a store near you, there's a 'Click & Pickup' box on the page where you can enter your zip code and find out if they are available for pick up in your area.

1 person likes this.
  6. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Super idea. I went by TCS and bought mine today. $35 is the best solution for the price for me! Thanks!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. mharris2007

mharris2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for this post! I justed picked up my "new to me" used 2007 and was wondering what to use in the cargo area to keep things tidy. I have a TCS between work and home and am using the click & pull to get them!

8. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hopefully the cargo area in the Gen II is the same size as in the Gen III. I bought mine for my 2010 Prius and I've never tried them in our 2007 Prius, so I don't know if they'll fit for sure.

1 person likes this.
  9. mharris2007

mharris2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the call out. I will do a quick search on cargo dimensions to see if it will work. :)

10. mharris2007

mharris2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It worked! Totally fit in my 2007 (Gen II) in the same configuration as pictured in above posts. I am so glad that I found this post.

BTW: The trunk organizers are on sale at the present (5/10) at the container store.

1 person likes this.
  11. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They look exactly like the bins I am forced to put my Shoes, Computer, and carry on luggage by the TSA whenever I fly!
    [​IMG]

12. WEB211

WEB211 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered mine today and used the promotion code "WRs125" to get 20% off. Just $36.86 including the shipping.

1 person likes this.
  13. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to thank you all for this information. I just ordered mine too but I had to pay the NYC tax. I could have picked it up but I avoid NYC at all costs (I live in the outer Boros).

14. racer

racer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those bins look like a great deal. I am going to check into them to see if they work in my car.

15. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have one of these trunk organizers from Harbor Freight. Love it.
    I showed it to my employee and I'd say at least 1/2 of them went out and got one or two of them for their cars.

I just picked up two more this week on sale for $7.99 they are normally 12.99. They are nice quality for the money.

Trunk Organizer

16. Grueny

Grueny New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome idea .... I went to TCS tonight and picked mine up. On sale now too ... bought the 4 for $25 plus tax.

17. practica

practica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These can fit in the under-floor area for which Toyota sells a "cargo organizer" -- the cavity is 6" high, the trays 5.5". Useful if you don't like the division of compartments in the "organizer". The organizer is carpeted, however, and has a lid -- maybe not as good as the supplied cavity cover which has hinged sections so you can just open the back part for quick things (since the organizer is plastic, the cover can be cut off one way or another -- or even sliced and affixed with more hinges!). Photos of the Organizer are poor, but one dealer sight has a fairly high res one which can be zoomed. The text doesn't usually say it is carpeted (and velcro will stick to it I expect). It's being heavily discounted by some dealers in this slow period, which makes it a lot more attractive, throw-away if doesn't work out.
    For other divisions one could use velcro easily glued to the original plastic tray to fasten 1/4 inch boards to the plastic there, and make any divisions wanted, and even covers over sections -- can even be done in the larger Container Store trays. Lowes carries precut 5.5" 1/4" wood -- needs painting to be waterproof etc.
    The Toyota version doesn't seem to have any long thin sections for tools with handles (like windshield sponges), and takes up the whole space so nothing really big can go in. Just not flexible enough.
    I'd prefer Container Store to provide an even smaller tray than the smallest supplied, half that.

You can fasten the Store trays down even tighter by affixing glued on velcro -- it sticks to the original fuzzy carpeting in the Prius, though pulling it off tends to wear it (a similarly sticking rubber backed over-carpet is available generically in cut-to-fit, Spectra Products, through stores). Or velcro mating strips can be glued to the plastic under-floor tray, when only one or two Store trays are used.

18. Robertzerosmog

Robertzerosmog New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This may be what I'm looking for!

19. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Cargo Organizer Alternative

Those bins look great! Having them in the back of your prius, do you think that you could fit 4 medium bins?

20. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looked at the measurements and I bought 4 medium sized bins. They will stack easiest if I don't want to use them of the time. Thanks.