1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo room

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by etack, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't quite understand the question but nothing a cargo net can't cure =)

2. KathyY

KathyY Member

I am constantly amazed at how much room the car has. I just made a trip up to my parents' house in NJ to install new computers for them. In the back with the cover over all I put 2 flat screen monitors (17" and 19") in the shipping boxes, the 2 CPUs (out of the boxes), the keyboards and speakers and wires in the shipping boxes, my laptop in its rolling bag and a small suitcase. I was dropping a friend at the airport before I left so her bags were in the back seat. This car really holds more than it looks like.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Heck, I'm taking the Prius to the lake today and plan to use it as a camper tonight! Those fold-down seats are nice.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I just carried my new small freezer home from the store in my 2005 Prius.
    I removed the rear seats due to a slight upward slope, but might have fit without doing that.
    They came out easily with 4 bolts plus 2 more for seat belt anchors.

Frezer is a Woods 10 cubic ft size and the dimension specs are 42.1 x 24 x 34.7 inches.

5. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

can someone please post the interior measurments from the rear to the back of the front seat with the back seats folded down. I'm waiting on my Prius and would like this info before hand.

thanks

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I don't have my tape measure handy, and I'm too lazy to get up and go measure the car tonight, but I recall that the distance from the rear hatch to the back of the front seats is roughly 6 feet.

*EDIT* Of course, the more I think about it, the less sure I am of that dimension, so don't quote me on it.

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etack @ Mar 29 2005, 06:12 PM) [snapback]76916[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the Subaru Impreza sport wagon site page with cargo dimensions, citing 23.8 cu ft/61.6 with rear seat lowered:

http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifications....gory=DIMENSIONS

8. S&amp;JPrius

S&amp;JPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 27 2005, 08:08 PM) [snapback]93414[/snapback]</div>
    Good morning, all. New member here, and this was a good topic to bite on. The wife and I have been doing a lot of camping lately with our new '06 and have been VERY pleased with the cargo volume. We've typically folded down one rear seat to slide in a large cooler (emergency canoe-sized), lined the flat area and up the sides with a tarp and filled the rest with gear, food, etc. for 3+ people, all without much trouble, and were STILL able to see out the back. Pretty fantastic.

The real question here, however, is how many beer kegs can be fit in the Prius? My wife's nonprofit will be holding their annual conference in San Francisco at the end of this month and they'll be renting Prii to shuttle staff (and beer kegs) around.

Any idea?

Thanks for the help.

- Steve

9. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S&JPrius @ Jun 8 2006, 05:28 AM) [snapback]267828[/snapback]</div>
    Steve, I'm also new here. I'm still waiting for my Prius to be delivered. Can I ask you a big favor. I'm trying to get a measurement from the rear of the interior to the back of the front seats with the rear seats folded down. I'm hoping to fit 166cm there.

thanks in advance

pre-cbs

10. S&amp;JPrius

S&amp;JPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Jun 8 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]267849[/snapback]</div>
    I'm in a procrastinating mood at work today, so sure thing.

ROUGHLY:

Rear of trunk bed to back of front seat, longest dimension (seat slopes backwards) - 70in (~200cm)
    Rear of trunk bed to back of front seat, shortest dimension (top of rear-sloping seat) - 62in
    Rear of trunk bed to rear of center console - ~68in

Length of trunk bed, rear seats upright, shortest dimension (top of rear seats) - 28in
    Length of trunk bed, rear seats upright, longest dimension (bottom of rear seats) - 34in

Width of trunk bed, shortest dimension - 42in
    Width of trunk bed, longest dimension (into "nooks") - 58in (~165cm)

Width of rear seat, armrest to armrest - 49in

Height of trunk bed/folded rear seat to roof - 27in
    Height of trunk bed to rear hatch, shortest dimension - 13in

Again, roughly.

Looks like your 166cm shouldn't be too much of an issue.

- Steve

11. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S&JPrius @ Jun 8 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]267881[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Steve!

12. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, doing quick math, I get roughly 16.5 ft^3 with rear seats up (46x20x31" on average), then add 26.0 ft^3 for the rear seat area folded down (27x34x49"), for 42.5 ft^3 total.

There's probably a couple of ft^3 in the storage compartment under floor, too.

13. S&amp;JPrius

S&amp;JPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsd43 @ Jun 8 2006, 10:59 AM) [snapback]267910[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but I wouldn't average the trunk widths, since the deep nooks skews the average. I'd say the rear area with seats up is closer to 42W x 28L x (27+13)/2 {20in} H = 13.6 cu ft (+nooks and under-trunk area; Toyota stated luggage volume is 14.4cu ft), and you shouldn't forget the "leg space" when the rear seat is folded down.

To answer my own question above, obviously two standard kegs could fit with one of the rear seats folded down. A quick web search yields a standard keg dimensions of roughly 23.3in H x 17in D. With the rear seats up, If the slope of the rear hatch lid is roughly 0.5in rise per 1in run ((27-13)/28), and the kegs are placed lying down side-by-side in the trunk (one on the left, one on the right), the rear hatch height 5in inside the tailgate (28in long bed minus 23in long keg) should be roughly 13+(5x0.5)=15.5in, which is too short for the 17in D keg.

Standing them up, side-by-side, the rear hatch height 11in inside the tailgage (28in long bed minus 17in D keg) should be roughly 13+(11x0.5)=18.5in, too short for the 23in tall keg.

These both assume that the rear hatch hinges at roughly the back of the rear seat. I can't remember if this is right. If the hinges are more towards the rear of the car, the slope would be steeper, and they might just squeeze in.

Since this is all pretty approximate, does anyone have any experience?

Thanks,
    - Steve

14. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rayx @ May 27 2005, 07:59 PM) [snapback]93411[/snapback]</div>
    I have the cargo net that hangs just inside the hatchback, and I can get multiple bags of groceries into the net - then I don't have to worry about the bags tipping over and spilling out in the cargo area. I don't usually get a huge number of bags of groceries when I shop, since I'm a household of 1. But the cargo net is very handy!

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the rating was somewhere in the 16cu ft range. At least that's what's stated in the canadian brochure.

16. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

17. Brian K

Brian K New Member

We regularly put 3 50# sacks of grain and assorted groceries in the back with the seats up, no problem. Oh, and that's with the cargo shade pulled out covering the load. Stealth truck mode. It could easily be overloaded with the rear seats down.

18. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Mar 29 2005, 08:09 PM) [snapback]76929[/snapback]</div>
    I would want to agree with you, but HONDA did design their Hybrids with the seats that would not fold down. They use the space immediatly behind the rear seat for the battery pack in a vertical orientation. It is one of the major reasons we have a Prius, not a Civic Hybrid.

The other reason is that the Manual transmission version of the Civic Hybrid is no longer available.

I drive the Prius and averat 52 to 55 mpg.

My spouse drives a 2000 5 speed Manual Insight and is now averaging over 90 mpg.

It is her opinion that driven correctly, the manual transmission version will always out perform the automatic or CVT. She was very dissappointed when Honda dropped the MT version of the Civic Hybrid.

19. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

20. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i love the prius cargo room! with seats down i've been able to load a tv stand for a 50" tv; a portable airconditioner, some big equipment for work, a couple of bikes, picnic table... wooot! definitely can't transport those in a trunk! :lol: