1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo room

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by etack, Mar 29, 2005.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S&JPrius @ Jun 8 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]267950[/snapback]</div>
    With kegs? Absolutely! With kegs in the Prius, sadly, no. :(

2. justin96039

justin96039 210,000 Miles on our Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just make sure that you don't have more than 810 pounds for your kegs and passengers. This is the max weight allowed for the Prius. Before I bought my vehicle, this was never mentioned. Keep this in mind. JW

3. j24816

j24816 New Member

2 2-Suiters, 1 'carryon', 2 kids suitcases, Cooler, 2 stuffed backpacks, 2 canvas grocery bags, 2 Adults, 2 Children.

And good rear window visability.

(even less than 810 pounds!)

I don't think the groceries will be a problem!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. DuaneBryant

DuaneBryant New Member

Has anyone seen data, or calculated the cargo capacity of a hatchback Prius with the rear seat folded?

I have nice Toyota sales brochures of the 07 and 08 Matrix, in which both have a expansive two-page-spread prominantly proclaiming the cargo capacity with the rear seats folded as over 53 cubic feet.

I have searched extensively on the internet, asked my dealer, and generally exhausted my usually resourceful bag of tricks. I have found a few old topics on several forums within PriusChat.com (some quite old) that questioned the cargo capacity of the hatchback Prius with the rear seats folded. Lots of non-empirical answers were given about lumber, "more than you think", camping supplies, and baby strollers etc. that will fit. Sorry, but I really would love to have a figure. It's just who I am. And I will really appreciate you help to learn that figure.

Never has a figure been quoted, or calculated since the hatchback has been released by Toyota, based on my research. There is cubic feet data on things like the cabin interior and luggage capacity with rear-seats-up (distinct from rear-seat-down cargo capacity), but none I can locate about the cargo capacity with rear seats down.

Does anyone know why Toyota would boast and publish the cargo capacity with rear seats down, expressed in cubic feet of other models like the Matrix, but not the Prius?

Does anyone have a good guess as to why?

Most importantly, though, what is the easiest and most accurate way to get this figure exactly? I think one would have to be quite accomplished at math to calculate it from the myriad of measurements one must take into account (varying width in the cargo area including between the wheelwells and from floor to ceiling, as well as variable curve of sloping roofline).

Thank you,
    Duane

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Google is your friend (16.1 cubic feet for those too lazy to click).

I don't know if that's with seats up or down, nor if it includes the "secret" cargo space.

7. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S&JPrius @ Jun 8 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]267881[/snapback]</div>
    Good work, Steve, but you left out an important one. Take the headrest off the passenger seat, slide the seat forward, then recline all the way. You now have 8 feet plus front to back on one side! I don't have the exact number.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DuaneBryant @ Jun 9 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]458700[/snapback]</div>
    I think this has already been answered on this thread if you read carefully Duane. However, as an eyeballing, the Prius and Matrix are very similar in width and length (Matrix is 2 inches wider, 4 shorter). However, the Prius is more sloped in the back, so you lose some cubic capacity, but this is only an issue if you are stacking up, not looking for length.

All the specs are on www.toyota.com

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just using Steve's dimensions, and desiring clear "room" (to back of console), but adding in the room under the hatch glass, I get about 38.6 cu ft, seats down. The 16.1 is rear seats up BTW.

The "actual" comparison number might be different, but I don't know the regs re calculating it. Call it around 40 cu ft and you'd be close. Of course now I have to convert to cubic metres because I'm Canadian. ;) (1.1 cu metre).

Now I just checked Toyota.ca and they say the Matix has 15.3 behind rear seats and 53 or so with rear seats folded. So I may be "shorting" our capacity by a lot more than I thought.

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I fit all these boxes in the car, with 2 adults and room to spare...

[attachmentid=10246]

Also posted here.

Attached Files:

10. kd5yig

kd5yig New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KCPrius @ Mar 30 2005, 10:24 AM) [snapback]77083[/snapback]</div>
    I've still got 2 turntables with extensive and growing album collections. There just nothing like listening to some of the old songs off a well tuned turntable.
    And before someone accuses me of being old and set in my ways, I'm only 32.

11. sfdafna

sfdafna New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etack @ Mar 29 2005, 03:12 PM) [snapback]76916[/snapback]</div>

I can pack my 9'0" longboard and a couple of short surfboards on top by pulling the front seat all the way up and then reclining it back and dropping the passenger side rear seat. still have room for my rubbermaid bucket full of wetsuits, water bottles etc. and a passenger behind me (the happy driver!).

my question is, is there a cargo mat that will accomodate the hinge-up back so that I can easily acces that roomy space under the cargo/trunk space? all the heavy duty types seem really stiff . . .

thanks

dafna

12. lytthans

lytthans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One of the reasons I bought the Prius was for the rear cargo room. It's more like a wagon, of which I've owned many. I wish Toyota would bring out a station wagon version of the Prius, something like the discontinued Corolla wagon. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

We recently did a trip to Sendona, AZ, from SoCal, with four adults, a small cooler and all the baggage. I did pull out the rear floor cover, so as to have the added room (and not mess up the carpeting). We had a very comfortable trip, averaging 42 mpg.

The Prius is really a full-sized car, based on the interior room.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DuaneBryant @ Jun 9 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]458700[/snapback]</div>
    Duane,

1. I found this on the internet: RTE, an Irish Public Broadcaster, on its website gives the following cargo capacity figures for the Prius: 14.4 cubic feet with rear seat up (same as Toyota states), and 42.7 cubic feet with rear seat down.

2. In this thread, S&J Prius did measurements and based on those measurements bsd43 did some quick calculations and came up with a figure of approx. 42.5 cubic feet cargo capacity with the rear seat down.

The above is all the evidence I need to believe that the Prius has approx. 42.7 cubic feet cargo capacity with the rear seat down. That's also the figure I would have roughly but educatedly guessed just by eyeballing the space.

It is truly unusual that Toyota has never stated the cargo capacity of the Prius with the rear seat down. I have never seen such an omission for a hatchback or station wagon.

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clarinetist @ Aug 1 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]488807[/snapback]</div>
    Me too! Like you, I have owned several wagons before (most recently, 1995 Volvo 850 Sportswagon and 1987 Honda Civic Wagon), and would love the extra 10 - 20 cubic feet cargo capacity that a Prius wagon would provide.