1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargurus.com ..... Slams Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cubbyg, Apr 19, 2007.

1. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 20 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]426859[/snapback]</div>
    Our 1988 Camry LE was rated at 116hp according to the owners manual, it had the 2.0 liter engine. My parents bought it brand new. It had the burgundy interior and no sunroof, but everything else. I especially enjoyed the Power button between the front seats. Push in to change the power curve to Sport and take out about anyone at the light. Fun for a 20 year old kid!!

My wife and I bought a 1991 Corolla LE back in Aug 2001. It was originally purchased new by the woman we bought it from east of Los Angeles, California, so it has the California emissions controls in it. I recently took it in for an emissions test here in Washington State and the tester remarked how clean it was. This is great, but it results in very low gas milage and less power.

I drove our 1991 Corolla LE to Long Beach, California back in June, 2002, and it really chugged up the mountains in southern OR and also the Grapevine north of L.A.

The 1991 Corolla LE is rated in the owners manual at 102hp, but it's probably a little less with the auto trans and the California emissions. For around town it's got great off the line performance, but merging onto the highway I sometimes have to really floor it otherwise it likes to pop into overdrive at 50mph which then turns the engine at 2k RPM with no power whatsoever.

What impresses us so much about our 2007 Prius is the power available at all times. The owners manual says the car is rated at 110hp, but it really feels more like 135hp or so. I never have trouble passing on the freeway or climbing mountain passes. The car just runs like a champ.

When we go back to drive the 91 Corolla it's really hard. Getting in the car feels so small and cramped. The engine is noisy, the brakes suck compared to the Prius, and the thing shakes at the stoplight unless I shift to neutral.

Dave

I should add that I've often wondered the 110hp rating is accurate for the Prius?

Dave

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I may be wrong on this but as I have always understood bhp (base horsepower) is rated for the engine without the transmission, drive shaft and all the other stuff connected. What you have to ask is. Are they taking the bhp of each motor and just adding them together or is that 110hp at the wheels after all the connections and whatnot.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 21 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]427356[/snapback]</div>
    I believe they state the hp for the motor and the engine separately, and then they state the hp for the car, which is a good deal less than the sum of the other two. So the hp stated for the car is the hp you get from the car.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Apr 21 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]427353[/snapback]</div>
    nice story! Hmm.. I wonder where I got my 92hp number from?

The Prius feels faster not b/c of hp but b/c of torque. The Prius on the dyno puts out 105hp and 115lb-ft (almost full battery). Obviously it drops as the battery drains...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 21 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]427356[/snapback]</div>
    I believe it's measured at the flywheel?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 21 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]427457[/snapback]</div>
    Not quite. wheel hp (whp) is what the car is actually putting down on the road after all the power sapping items are taken into account. That's is what is measured on a dyno.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what is needed to shut up these speed demons is $6.00 a gallon gas. Speed won't matter to them, then.

6. JustAnotherAsian

JustAnotherAsian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Apr 21 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]427485[/snapback]</div>
    ^there ya go.

heck, the prius is on par with my long lost '85 bimmer 318i in terms of accelecation, top speed, and hp as well- and that was a little fun car imo.

and another point- why is it always the "high-powered" cars from europe and whatnot blocking me in the fast lane while i drive the prius? :p

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its also no slower than most economy cars or V6 SUVs. And the generalization that Hybrids are "slow" is certainly not true, the Lexus hybrids are far from slow...

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Apr 19 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]426448[/snapback]</div>
    To keep up with the Governor of NJ on the Garden State Parkway.

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Apr 20 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]426948[/snapback]</div>
    A return to irrelevency.