1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carista may be a scam!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by JohnF, May 19, 2016.

1. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hate to say this, but either their programming is really bad or it is a scam.

In mid-March, I bought the Carista Pro app ($20) and the Carista OBD module ($40). I used it to change one seatbelt warning but my main interest was in using it to register TPMS sensors for changing between sets of wheels with OEM and snow tires on them. I heard that this capability was under development at Carista, so when they offered me the opportunity to get the Beta test version I downloaded it. The TPMS capability was there and looked fine, so I figured I was all set. I knew that the Beta would expire in a month or so and just figured I would be shifted to the updated Pro version at that point.

A couple of weeks ago I tried to use Carista and it kept shunting me to the Apple Store. Today I tried a bit more and discovered that they wanted to charge me ANOTHER $7 for a week of access to this app, which I had already paid for, or $40 for a year of access. In the meantime, they sent me an invitation to download another Beta, this one good for 60 days.

So either they are lousy at tracking who has already bought the Pro version, or they are trying to scam regular payments to use their app. If you look at the reviews on the App Store by opening iTunes, you will see that others have had the same problem for example:

"Don’t Purchase this or the device. Multiple payment scam.

by Zeeek

Found this app/device combo after researching Service Reset options on Audis. I liked that the app and the obd device were from the same company, and would work together, so I didn’t mind paying a little more. I didn’t realize how much though. After purchasing the Pro option, I had to scour the internet to find out you have contact the developer to request the Beta version which ‘unlocks’ the main features. First this is shifty. They are gaming apple. Second I had no response to multiple emails and FB messages until I suggested I’d start discussing my negative experiences online. Now I have the Beta (you have to install it through another app- TestFlight) which only lasts for 30 days. When I ran the test and tried to reset the service warning I’m told I have to pay either seven dollars for a weeks access or forty for a year for that feature. This is after I’ve purchased the overpriced device and paid for the “full” pro version. They also make you pay overtime you unlock the ebrake. I feel duped for having bought into the idea that I’d be treated better with a company offering the whole package. I thought I’d save time and money by avoiding the Dealership, but in this case I’ve wasted both and I’d give my seventy dollars to the dealer crooks rather than these scammers."

So I don't know if I can use it to do what I want to do this winter.

I apologize for recommending Carista here.

#1 JohnF, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    I'mJp likes this.
  2. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I've only just purchased it a month ago, with out beta.
    I'll keep an eye out for any "hanky - panky"

3. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had mine since last year, no issues so far.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  4. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Same, I got one this morning and it works fine so far. No payment scams or anything.

5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No issues with mine.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  6. Leonski

Leonski New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I purchased the Carista adapter for $40 on Amazon and for an additional $20 (in-app purchase) you get full functionality under the "old Pro Package" So far so good. I was able to turn on the roll-all-windows down feature as well as stop that annoying continuous beeping while in reverse. Well worth it. You can do this in-app purchase through iPhone under the side menu: click the Debug menu and you will be able to "purchase old Pro package" As I understand, if you have an Android phone, tap the "version 3.0" 5 times in the side menu for a similar offer.

7. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think when they switched to the subscription it may have lost the data of who bought what. But a restore purchases worked for me and gave me access to the old pro package again. For the pro package it's a good deal and I have that. I would not buy it for subscriptions, paying X per month or year for everything really adds up.

8. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So what does this mean? I paid for carista about two months ago, since then I've changed my Android phone. Does this mean I have to pay 20 again?

SM-G928T ?

9. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a beta version back when it first came out. Removing that version, installing the latest version and restoring previous purchases should work. If it doesn't, contact the developer and they should be able to fix the problem.

10. Chris Clark

Chris Clark New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like the OP did not restore his previous in app purchases

11. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just did a reinstall from Play Store after flashing a new ROM the other night and it still worked. This was a clean flash, not a dirty flash so I wiped all data and caches.

12. Old Wrench It

Old Wrench It Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you go to google play or apple store, wherever you bought it through, they should have a history of your purchases. Use that history to prove you already paid and they will work it out or risk facing consequences from the store front

knockknock_2 likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, o/p hasn't been heard from since. maybe try pm ing him