1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carmax: Are They Crazy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JM05, Oct 15, 2012.

1. JM05

JM05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just began my quest for a Prius and think I've narrowed it down to a 2010 III or IV in white or silver a with dark gray leather and Nav. I'm leaning toward one with the solar option as well.

As I'm browsing the usual websites, I've found that Carmax has a lot that meet my needs but boy are they priced HIGH!! Are people actually paying these prices for a 2-3yr old Prius?

While out on my motorcycle this afternoon, I decided to stop by a local Toyota dealer and look at some new ones. The prices of new ones are not much more than what Carmax is asking for used ones with 20k+ miles??? Being in Texas, does anyone know how much dealers will come down from MSRP?

Should I be able to find a nicely equipped solar 3/4 with low miles for $20-23k??

2. Filmmaker1225

Filmmaker1225 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

How about, yes, Carmax are crazy. No, they're rip off artists. And yes, you should. I bought my 2010 pkg 4 with sunroof, approx 25K for 21,000. Look around, and don't be afraid to make offers. check out the Lexus dealers nearby; see if they don't have a Prius on hand. I bought an extended warranty, just to be safe, but I'm not sure if that was necessary. And look out for the Toyota dealers. Some are ok, but the big ones tend to get top dollar to cover their overhead. trust me, there are 2010s and 11s aroud.

3. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You will find some but it will take time. As I was searching, I could not believe how well the Prius holds its value but they're out there, you just have to be patient. I had my search out 200 miles for a 2010 V and ended up finding one 30 miles away at a Toyota dealership and it was certified.

Good luck in your search!

4. pauln64

pauln64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes they are. You are better off buying a new one for the price you are looking to spend. Even if it's 1 to 2k more for a new one, you are only look about $10 to $20 difference in your monthly payment. I had thought about looking for a used one. However, there wasn't enough of a price difference to justify it.

348 likes this.
  5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Carmax doesnt take into account the current market. They stick with blue book. The one by my house had a Hummer H2 with 73k miles priced at $27k....just checked and saw this was transferred to Ontario location.

6. JM05

JM05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info thus far folks. I'm scouring the web trying to find something. Would love to find one near me but, as I have in the past, am willing to fly somewhere and pickup the right car.

Still also pondering the used vs new issue. Just looking at the local dealer website and a III model with solar roof is listed at $30396. Any idea on ballpark average figure they might come down from MSRP? I'm sure the 13's will be coming soon. Seems that if I decided to not get the solar option, it might be better to buy a new one. I just don't want to get one and 2 weeks later wish I had gotten one with a sunroof. :(

Is the softex interior something new for 2012 or has factory leather always been available for only the IV & V models?

7. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota Certified Used Vehicles - Search Inventory is a very useful tool to check dealer USED inventory (it usually lags 1-2 days behind so dont be surprised if the one you are looking for has been sold by the time you call them) i decided to go used, and this allows you to look up prices anywhere since you said you are willing to travel.

i will say if you see a car at koons tysons toyota in virginia they are slimey, but have good prices.

8. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always thought it is good to use Carmax as a guide. You will then get an "idea" of what you will be paying. Then start shopping around. I always thought it difficult when the only number you have is the dealer's MSRP. I've been told by some people that they couldn't find what they were looking for other than at Carmax so they bought from them. Had to pay more than they wanted, but they got what they wanted. That's the tradeoff in some situations. Me? I'd either wait or buy something cheaper and just deal with the fact that it isn't exactly what I wanted. But I'm cheap.

Mike

greekchampion04 likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, when I was looking at Prius, one of the things I clearly put in the positive column was that they do seem to hold their resale value excellently.

This is good, if you are buying new, not as good if you are looking for used.

Also dealers can be sharks and they often will react to the latest blood in the water. Recent news of sky rocketing gas prices in California give leverage to anyone selling a Prius.

I think you're doing the right thing. Be as aware as possible of values, know what you want. If getting what you want used vs. getting what you want brand new represents less than 2-3 thousand dollars, and you can afford that difference, I would clearly lean towards buying new.

10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes they are. They will buy a car for 15 grand and turn around and sell it for 22 grand firm.

11. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    ah, my friends, my experience with car max is somewhat different. although i, too, feel they sell for top dollar, my experience is that their cars are in extremely good shape. i have sold them 3 or 4cars benz, porsche and kia(!). they paid ok and promptly. i bought a mercedes 07 c280 from them , it was in incredibly good shape. what a great car. my feeling is that they sell and buy for profit and that you get pretty much what you pay for. i agree that they are on the high side but so is the condition of their cars. just my opinion.:)

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some Carmax locales have new Prii, prices seem competitive. Laurel MD for example.
    PiP prices in NorthEast can be incredible right now...not sure what state OP is in.
    If new users can kindly put your approx. location in the profile or even just the state, it really helps. OK I see TX thanx

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A 2010 IV will have leather. The 2012 doesn't even pretend to call it leather. Toyota switched because it is cheaper or they are concerned about the animal. When it comes to cars with high resale value generally the new one is the better deal. Learn the differences between the model years to avoid disappointment when discovering the car was de-featured or to ensure something you want is included.

Gas prices are falling. Prius pricing should soften.

Happy hunting.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep an eye out for leather cracking or wear issues in those early 3rd Gen's. There are threads on here about that. The Softex is very nice. How does it hold up? No idea as I don't drive my car often. I paid $500 over invoice. If you remember when looking at used Prius, pull down the drivers side grab handle on the headliner and see if you find a smiley sticker up there. Let me know if you do. Every rental Prii I have ever driven has one of those stickers :) Sometimes I got to drive the same cars rented months later.

Mike

15. Paul Messier

Paul Messier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

16. Paul Messier

Paul Messier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Up in New England a 2010 or 2011, 3 or 4, can be had with solar roof for under $24k and reasonable miles.

17. dhendriksen

dhendriksen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last week I bought a CPO 2010 with 54k for $15,500. Brand new tires and a brand new windshield.

No solar roof, leather or nav...but a damn nice car with a great warranty.

DROID RAZR ? 2

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did they put Low Rolling Resistance tires on?

Mike

19. dhendriksen

dhendriksen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have no idea, but I'm guessing not. I can tell you what brand/model they are in the morning.

DROID RAZR ? 2

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope they put the right tires on. Non-LRR tires hurt the Prius by ~5-10 mpg. That is based upon me driving rental Prii since mid 2009 over 20k miles. In other words a whole heck of a lot of rental Prius :) Some had OEM LRR tires and some had cheep Mr Donut non-LRR tires. Totally noticeable gas mileage between the two tire types. Also the non-LRR tired cars worked the motor harder to maintain cruise speed which the HSI showed. I put LRR tires on my SUV a week or so ago and got ~5 mpg gain over the old all season's :)

Mike [​IMG]