1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carpet Floor Mat Recommendations - Please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vincent, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Apr 14 2006, 08:13 AM) [snapback]239671[/snapback]</div>
    I pulled out the carpet mats. You have to for the front mats since the clip holders will not fit through both mats. The all weather mat saved us when the kid dropped his sippy cup in the car and was hidden under his jacket. The heat of the car soured the milk and pressure pushed it out the spout onto the mat. A rubber mat is an easy fix, not sure about how tough it would be to get the smell out of the carpet mats.

2. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vandil @ Apr 14 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]239669[/snapback]</div>

Hmmm.. Never came across that company. I'll Fav it for a future car or replacement mat

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vandil @ Apr 14 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]239669[/snapback]</div>

Hmmm.. Never came across that company. I'll Fav it for a future car or replacement mat

3. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Apr 11 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]238287[/snapback]</div>
    We got a set of standard Waterhogs from LLBean. They are kind of a cross between carpet and all weather. The fit is acceptable but the driver's side has to be notched to accommodate the raised foot rest. They don't have holes for the anchor hooks but have a stippled backing that keeps them in place. Too bad someone doesn't make true custom fit mats from this material because it is attractive and easy to care for.

4. hockeybrat

hockeybrat Member

I was coming in to recommend the all weather mats too. I opted not to get carpeted ones since it rains a lot here in Washington State and I am too lazy to wash carpeted mats.

Since you're set on carpeted ones, have you tried to use a fabric protector on them? Or maybe get a couple sets so you can change them out to wash?

5. savingtheearth

savingtheearth Junior Member

I bought the clear mats that go over your mats to save them. At first I thought they looked stupid- they are like those plastic things you put underneath a chair in a carpeted office. But they are growing on me. They will definitely save your mats and are see through.

6. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

I've noticed that all the clear plastic/rubbery ones don't have any "lip" on the edges of them (they are completely flat).

Has anyone found a clear mat which has that lip around the edge?

If not, do you guys with the flat clear ones find that water runs off the edge?

7. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I picked up my all weather Toyota Prius mats over the weekend and they are beeeautiful. The warning printed on them states that they are not to be placed over the carpeted mats... so don't do that! :)

8. savingtheearth

savingtheearth Junior Member

I use the clear ones for keeping my mats clean- not so much water. There is no lip, but when it is raining the water usually doesn't spill over anyways. Its great for the rear cargo too.

9. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ Apr 18 2006, 07:09 AM) [snapback]241445[/snapback]</div>
    The mats that I got from Costco (rubber, not clear) have a lip of about 1/8". I just put them over the carpeted mats, and they work fine. Not the prettiest in the world; the pattern on them resembles more of a doormat where one could scrape his shoes off onto, and the color is a bad match. They do the job of protecting the carpet well, though.

10. hockeybrat

hockeybrat Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ Apr 18 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]241445[/snapback]</div>

Mine has a lip. [​IMG]

11. gordonr

gordonr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Apr 14 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]239675[/snapback]</div>

Milk spilled in the trunk of my wife's old SAAB. It didn't matter what we used to clean it, the bad smell would eventually come back. It was one of those things that would get under your skin. The situation reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the BO smell in the car. We ended up putting in a used trunk liner from a junk yard SAAB.

We have the all weather factory mats in our '06, and the Carbox molded mats in our '05. I like them both, but I think the factory mats have one advantage. The front passenger Carbox mat doesn't go very high in the front. As a result the carpet gets a little dirty as half your shoe ends up beyond the mat. All the major winter gunk still finds it way into the tray so this isn't a real big deal. The driver side is the same, but because of the gas & brake pedals it isn't an issue.

12. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Apr 11 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]238261[/snapback]</div>

I'm waiting on my Prius. Can you fit a 162 cm snowboard inside the back of your prius with the rear seats flat?

thanks

13. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Apr 11 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]238324[/snapback]</div>
    There's a detailing company that comes to the company where I work, so I treated myself to the 'detailing' on my month-old Prius. They cleaned the floor carpeting and mats and treated them with stain-repellant (I assume Scotchgard).

I've bought the all-weather mats and will switch to them in wintertime (you don't get much snow in Florida, but we get some in NJ) - but may switch back to the carpet ones next time I have the car detailed.

I'm told that the Resolve carpet spray does an excellent job on cleaning the mats.

14. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We were able to get rid of the sour milk smell by using a combination of fabreeze and Petzyme. We used the Petzyme to have it eat all the milk stuff we missed. We used soak and water and washed the carpet and the padding before spraying down with both items. We would alternate each day ensuring the spot was thoroughly soaked. It took about 4 days for it to go away. No stain either.

15. dbaro

dbaro New Member

We just purchased an 06 black Prius with grey mats. A trick my sister taught me was to buy cheap, thin black kitchen carpet mats from Walmart, cut them in half and place them on the prius carpets. The big one cut in half fits the front ; the small cut in half the back. They're easily shaken out and/or washed. My husband laughs but they look good cause they're black, easily cared for, cheap so they can be replaced and are protecting my $200 carpets.

16. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hockeybrat @ Apr 18 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]241681[/snapback]</div>
    I have those exact same floor mats, they are awsome, they catch everything on your shoes and you can take them to the car wash and hose them off!!! I love my OEM Prius all-weather floormats... I got mine on e-bay for around $50.00.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B2B2 @ Jun 1 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]264412[/snapback]</div>

EWWWWW!!! You Shopped at Wal-Mart!?!?! I REFUSE to spend so much as one penny in a Sprawl-Mart... and im not rich so most of the time I cannot afford to shop at Meijer or Target... so I will go without something before I'll buy it at Sprawl-Mart... I wish Everyone else in america would open their eyes and do the same, noone needs 95% of the crap I see them coming out of those stores with... I'll buy just about everything American I can.... EXCEPT FOR MY CAR!!! :p

17. dbaro

dbaro New Member

EWWWWW!!! You Shopped at Wal-Mart!?!?! I REFUSE to spend so much as one penny in a Sprawl-Mart... and im not rich so most of the time I cannot afford to shop at Meijer or Target... so I will go without something before I'll buy it at Sprawl-Mart... I wish Everyone else in america would open their eyes and do the same, noone needs 95% of the crap I see them coming out of those stores with... I'll buy just about everything American I can.... EXCEPT FOR MY CAR!!! :p
    [/quote]

You're absolutely right about Wal-mart (aka The People's Republic of China). Normally, I shop there for only food stuffs and other articles such as school supplies- stuff certifiably made in this country, no clothing, housewares or other bric-a-brac. The carpets were made in Mexico. Very good that you brought up that point- no one should be buying China's surplus. Check every lable. Target is also in China's thrall. Glad you brought this up.