1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carpool Lane Frustration

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by MartyPrime, Jul 4, 2017.

1. MartyPrime

MartyPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I need to vent, and what better place than right here. I got my Prime over 2 months ago. I sent off my carpool lane paperwork the day I bought my Prime. 3 weeks later, I get my check and paperwork back in the mail, saying that I needed to have my registration paperwork returned and entered into their computers before I could get my sticker. (my dealership told me I had all the proper paperwork, which I didn't apparently.). So I re-sent the letter, check, etc, certified mail to DMV. Only to have it returned 4 weeks later, saying that my decal stickers had already been purchased by the dealer and was at the dealership! Then come to find out, my car was traded from another dealership, and that dealership had my carpool lane decals. So basically, I could have had my stickers the day I got my Prime.....2 months ago! Instead, I spent 2 months of mailing letters, re-sending letters, calling DMV, calling the decal place, etc. Ugh!?!? I drove to the dealership today to get my decals. Needless to say, I need to calm down before I give someone a bad yelp review haha.

AAA, Andyprius1, EyePrime and 4 others like this.
  2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hope you weren't in a rush to complete the customer satisfaction survey. If your account is accurate why not post a bad yelp review? I would attempt to get something out of the dealer before slamming them.

3. MartyPrime

MartyPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I filled out one survey a few weeks after I bought the car, but I have another survey pending to fill out. Maybe they will follow up with a call to apologize or something. Both dealers kept blaming the other since this was a trade from one dealer lot to another. I blame the dealership I bought the car from, they should have asked if the carpool lane decals were already bought etc.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What is this "customer satisfaction survey" people talk about? Is it something Toyota sends by postal mail to the buyer, or is it e-mail, or what? I have had my Prime for 5 months, and I don't recall seeing anything for me to provide feedback to Toyota about the buying experience.

5. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's an email for an online Toyota "customer satisfaction survey". I believe it is dealer initiated but also sent to corporate. My response was mostly positive, except for having an empty traction battery. I got a call from my dealer the next day, telling me they are installing charging stations. Nice for the future Prime buyers. :rolleyes:

priuscatprimeguy and joachimz like this.
  6. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got bad advice from my sales person in that i had to go to the DMV office in order to get my stickers :(:(
    I think the problem is most dealers don't care, Prime makes far less than 1% of their business ... and mine wasn't charged either, they kept the chargers in a separate room, away from the vehicle ... and i never got a survey invite either (au contraire, other car is a Hyundai Sonata hybrid and i got a 2nd survey after 1 year) ... still loving my Prime :cool::cool:

7. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am SHOCKED! SCHOCKED, I SAY!!! that anyone would even suggest a dealer doesn't care!!! Of course they care (about ripping you off).

'LectroFuel likes this.
  8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Think you're frustrated now? When you get your stickers and get to drive in the carpool lane, you'll find it doesn't move that fast because of all the scofflaws.

iPhone ? Pro

'LectroFuel likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And then after you get the decals, you realize there are some HOV lanes that are not free. Like the Golden Gate bridge. And on some HOT lanes, you have to hide the transponder or you get charged even though you have the decals. And then if you're from out of town your just f&$ked in SoCal. All these different routes and all it takes is forgetting to turn on avoid toll roads and suddenly you paid $4 to pass by Orange County. (I have to turn avoid toll roads off in NorCal or I get routed around bridges.)

10. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry, but I had to comment on this. You are talking about high occupancy vehicle or carpool lanes. The whole idea is to reduce traffic by encouraging people to carpool. Of course they will be congested if you can drive in them just because you have a Prius with a single occupant.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe we Western Washingtonians are different than SoCal-ians. We actually use HOV lanes for real carpools, enough so to keep them busy.

12. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This used to be vigorously discussed at length in the PiP subforum. The question is, what is the purpose of of the carpool/HOV lanes? Is it for reducing traffic congestion, or for encouraging behavior that reduces total emissions? For the former, giving a pass to BEVs or PHEVs does not make any sense; for the latter it does. Many people do not realize that the emissions factor is a big part of the rationale for HOV/carpool lanes.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  13. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One thing is clear though. There's no chance that the green HOV stickers will be extended beyond 1/1/19. I suspect that for the white HOV stickers, it might be at best extended for 1-2 more years beyond 1/1/19.

14. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If this bill goes through, it would extend green and white stickers until 2025. That would be seriously awesome.

Bill would extend carpool lane access for hybrid and electric cars

Don't forget, about 30% (or more) of the drivers in the HoV lane are there illegally. Green/White sticker drivers probably represent a fraction of that. More enforcement of HoV violations will greatly reduce congestion in the lane.

A few weeks ago, I saw a single driver cut across a double-double solid line into the HoV lane, then a city motorcycle cop (not CHP) came zipping by, looked into the car, gave them "the look" then took off. The car then proceeded to cut back across the double-double solid to get "legal" again. Make of this what you will (n) (My take is that since it wasn't CHP, he didn't want to be bothered pulling them over.)

15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't see why it can't be for both. I also don't see why we can't change original intent. Originally, the Bay Bridge toll was only going to be collected until the bonds taken to pay for its construction was repaid. Well, the bridge is paid for (before the new east span anyway) and we're still paying tolls.

16. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In SoCal, it's more about getting from point A to point B faster on the freeway without traffic. I doubt the HOV lanes help with emissions that much

17. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's called political grandstanding, nothing more. When you take a look at all of the currently available plug in vehicles (with more to come) as well as the upcoming BEV's, it's clear that from a policy standpoint the green stickers will expire and that any remaining perks (if any remain) will be limited to the white stickers only. This is no different than when the old yellow stickers expired back in 2011 when hybrids became more popular.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I am not expecting green stickers to die in 2019. Older PiP Greenies might be a lost cause though (Plug-in America has been asking to kick out the 2012-2105 PiPs).. It could be a huge negative for Plug-ins if CA dropped green stickers, which I do not expect to happen. OK well they might change the colors...to Blue we need blue for CA...right (I mean left)?

I was just out there and it doesn't take long to see an old yellow sticker on a Prii - so yellow is out.

#18 wjtracy, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Disagree. Carpool lanes are not congested because of green (or white) stickered vehicles being there. There aren't that many of them. It's because of carpool lane cheats.

ttait and Pdog808 like this.
  20. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    But as I understand it, the federal regulations involved state that if congestion increases to to some threshold, that the clean air decals must be cancelled. The fact that the lanes are congested with cheats is not relevant. The regulation only considers the level of congestion, not the reason why. o_O:rolleyes:

fuzzy1 likes this.