1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carrying motorcycle on rear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by larryakoch, Dec 11, 2013.

1. larryakoch

larryakoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a motorcycle carrier than plugs into a trailer hitch on my PIP. It drags the rear end. Is there a way to stiffen the rear shocks? Is there any shocks that I can vary the pressure in maybe by air?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What exactly do you mean.."drags the rear end?'

Uh, no.
    I've seen some people do some wierd things with a Prius, including using a G3 to tow a trailer.
    Not a garden trailer.....but an RV TRAILER trailer.

I've never heard of one tail-dragging as a result.
    How much does the motorcycle weigh?
    It really sounds like you will be better off towing it on a small M/C trailer rather than on a carrier, and that solution would be cheaper and easier than trying to graft air-shocks or spring-helpers onto your car---to say nothing of being a heck of a lot more safe.

That's just a SWAG from what you've provided for info.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's at least one PriusChat member who has posted pics of an airbag setup on his Prius. IIRC, there was mention of some modifications needed to install them.

Some questions come to mind. What is the load rating on your hitch? How much does your motorcycle weigh? Is it a 1.25" hitch?

If your backend is dragging, it would definitely be better to put your motorcycle on a trailer. That would relieve the hitch from most of the weight.

SCH-I535

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Trailer would be better because you described all the weight is on the hitch. With a trailer you have tongue weight and tow weight. ;)

5. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With only a Class-I hitch, there isn't enough tongue-weight available for carrying a load heavy enough to require greater suspension.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ The OP hasn't popped back up, but if he or she is tail-dragging, then I suspect that they've already exceeded the capacity of a C1 hitch....unless "motorcycle" meant "moped." This is tongue weight, which is entirely different than total weight.

Even then.
    Even though a very diminutive motorcycle still weighs several hundred pounds, you're better off distributing that load on a trailer, than all on the hitch. A C1 hitch might be capable of more than you think.
    From Wikipedia: Tow hitch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Class I – up to 2,000 pounds (910 kg) – light loads
    Class II – up to 3,500 pounds (1,600 kg) – light loads
    Class III – up to 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) – larger loads (campers, boats, etc.)
    Class IV – up to 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) – larger loads (campers, boats, etc.)
    Receiver-type hitches are typically offered with a square receiver opening of 1.25 inches (32 mm) (for Class I/II) or 2 inches (51 mm) (for Class III/IV/V). Some Class IV/V hitches are available in 2.5 inches (64 mm) opening sizes.

Me?
    I have a C3 hitch (NOT on a Prius!) and I really wouldn't feel comfortable towing much over 1k with a 1.25 C1 receiver, but that's me.
    IMHO a G3 ought to be capable of towing loads in that range for relatively short distances, with the proper equipment.
    Yes.
    I know that the G3 is rated to tow zero pounds. That's one of the reasons that I'm a G3 DRIVER and not a G3 owner.
    However (comma!)
    If you're trying to haul 500# bolted directly to the receiver, and airline pilots are squinting because your headlights are pointing up?
    That represents a potential handling problem for your car IMHO. :eek:

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. larryakoch

larryakoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Honestly, I didn't see my post. I was checking in PIP and thot it hadn't posted so I started another. I have a trailer, 2 in fact. My goal here was to go 80 in HOV instead of 55. The mc carrier plugs into a 2" receiver. I've got a 2" into 1 "1/4 adapter. The back of the mc carrier will drag on the slightest bump. I agree will all the above. I just thought shocks might solve the problem. Whats an OP?

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP = original poster, the one that started the thread/discussion.

The fact that you are using an adapter to use a carrier that is designed to be used in a higher class rated hitch should be the red flag here.

I posted in the other thread why doing what you are doing is a bad idea.

SCH-I535

11. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That adapter cuts your tongue weight rating in half, which means that instead of exceeding the maximum tongue weight rating by 50 pounds, you are exceeding it by 150 pounds! What you are doing is VERY unsafe, and if the hitch fails, dropping the motorcycle into traffic at 80MPH, you are going to cause some serious damage!

xliderider likes this.