1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cars getting too fuel efficient....tax on driving

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by JC91006, May 7, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good. But does the money go to the federal Government or locally? If it's the former, then it won't help the roads I guess. Maybe local Government can add to it using the same ratings?

4. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    While this is all well and good it bypasses what is perhaps the real problem. There maybe lots of cars but it's weight that is tearing our highway system apart. It was never designed to carry trucks of the numbers and weight classes that we see today. The only real solution is to reduce the numbers of trucks, their size and weight. More needs to be shipped by rail which would also reduce smog from diesel engines that most trucks use.

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five

That same could be said to justify more pipelines for transporting fuel... no?

austingreen likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gee I never recall hearing about this Gas Guzzler tax. You know what they say about memory...first thing to go...or is it the second thing?

Here it says amount and usually car manufacturer pays it. But the irony is Gas Guzzlers (trucks, SUV, minivans) are tax free!
    Energy Tax Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The gas guzzler tax needs to be expanded to cover suv, truck and van vehicles. Each class of vehicles should have a target mpg (highway) that can be met by a mid-level entry such as say a mid-sized sedan with a 4 cylinder engine getting 30mpg and the target is 30 mpg. In this case there is no tax. However, if you order same said car with a 6 cylinder engine getting 25 then you are below the 'tax-free' threshold and say a $500/mile under the target should be applied - in this case $2500. If said vehicle is used for business purposes and documentation is kept and filed with taxes each year to support 80% of the mileage is business only then no tax applies. Since anyone who has chosen to purchase a vehicle with a lower mpg rating than their class target is prepared to pay more in fuel costs each year then they must have disposable income and such gas guzzler tax will continue to be applied as long as they own said vehicle. Any business vehicle that fails to have supporting documentation for the 80% mileage requirement and therefore shows more personal and/or recreational use than is allowed should have the gas guzzler tax take effect-and retroactively to date of purchase with all said tax due the next year at the same time as traditional excise tax is due. This will (with the exception of business) encourage buyers to purchase vehicles that fit their needs but are more economical. Get the 4 or 6 cylinder because they are more efficient-not the big honkin V8 because it's more fun.

8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Remember the gas guzzler tax, I believe we still have it. However it does not seem to help, perhaps the rates are too low. As for pure electrics, I think it's still too early and there are not enough cars to justify any legislation at this point, however if they become a significant percentage of automobiles, they will have to be taxed in some way.

9. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, come on Californians! We are ever so privileged to live in this most beautiful Soviet Republic State of Kalifornia! This menial new mileage cost should be of no surprise! Just add it to the Gas tax, income tax, City tax on every purchase made, tax & bonds charges on every utility, (seen your water bill lately), tax even on CATV and cell phones, Tax on take out food, tax on even purchasing a private sale used car, that was already fully taxed when it was first sold, DMV taxes, Death tax, Life tax, property tax, Tabacco tax, alcohol tax, etc. etc. etc., on and on it goes...

What was it the Borg said on Star Trek, Next Generation show,,, "Resistance, is Futile"! :ROFLMAO:

You WILL empty your pockets,, and you WILL like it!:whistle:

Anyone ever heard of,,,, The Boston TEA PARTY???? Could be time for another one!

Not to get overly political... (Oh boy,, I am sure I am saying way too much).....
    Anyone seen the email floating around that says this? (Shortened to be more P.C.)

As of Jan 1st 2014:

Top Income Tax bracket went from 35% to 39.6%
    >

> Top Income Payroll Tax went from 37.4% to 52.2%

>

> Capital Gains Tax went from 15 % to 28%

>

> Dividend Tax went from 15% to 39.6%

>

> Estate Tax went from 0% to 55%

>

> These taxes were all passed under
    > the Affordable Care Act,

> otherwise known as ObamaCare

>

>

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of those long long long predated Obamacare. The temporary reductions under Bush 43 finally expired.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Continuing the thread hijacking, here is a bit more.
    Some folks have extremely short memory.
    FactCheck.org: False Tax Claims
    Business Insider: THE TRUTH ABOUT TAXES: Here's How High Today's Rates Really Are

When I was born, the top income bracket was 91%. When I started working, the top bracket (way beyond my league) was 70%. The top brackets have fallen sharply. The average tax burden has also fallen, though not as sharply.

icarus likes this.