1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cars of the Stars...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Hadda go there, koa. Couldn't help yourself. OK, you and slortz put up a poll. :p

Don't forget buns. Or condom-mints.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I'm not into that. I know a guy performed a couple years ago with the band Sum-41 (I think it was at an awards show??) and it was just one guy and they were saying it was Judas Priest. So I was confused if that was HIS name or his BAND's name. When was JP big? I'm all over Metallica, Megadeth, SOAD, Disturbed and Godsmack though. And the punk and swing stuff.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ok, I can see that...

What puzzled me is the being all over Metallica and Megadeth without somehow being exposed to JP (and Judas Pries is the name of the band, Rob Halford is the lead singer (weird looking bald guy who came out of the closet a few years back). Then again, JP peaked sometime in the mid 80's, around the same time as Megadeth's Peace Sells album came out... Back then, if there was any "Top 10" metal bands list, Judas Priest would have likely been right up there...

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay. Everyone has their reasons for buying a car.

But I have to wonder what some of these sweet young things need with an Escalade or Range Rover. They go to Home Depot often, do they?

And Madonna's car cost more than some people's houses, *if* they can afford a house at all. That's such obscene consumerism in my opinion. What does that car have and do that justifies $335,000? You couldn't find a car for 20% of that price?

The Bentley is pretty and I love that blue but still, $117,000?

And they make an automatic transimission sound like a optional convenience. Gee. Chalk up one for the working stiff.

I'll bet Julia Roberts loves her car. Especially now that she has kids. She always seemed real practical to me. (Well, except for the Lyle Lovett thing, what was she thinking?)

Leonard sounds like he has a wicked sense of humor. And I'll bet after a few years of driving their Prii, they'll never go back to a regular car again. I tell you *I'm* so spoiled by the transmission alone I can't imagine owning a car without it every again.

I have a package #1. I could have bought a #6 (2005) but I didn't see the need to spend extra money on things I just didn't need. I don't need to play 6 CDs, I don't own a cell phone, I rarely drive anywhere I don't know where I'm going and when I do I check mapquest before I leave. The VSC and homelink would have been nice, but I have a working garage door opener and it doesn't have one of those variable code things so the remote is just fine. I just didn't need the extra stuff.

And if I had the kind of money these people had....I wouldn't need a $335,000 or $117,000 car. I'd still drive a Prius. And if I had the money these people had it wouldn't just be me....I buy Prii for all of my family as presents. Well....maybe a Lexus for my parents instead. My Dad is looking at a Lexus for his next car. They need leather, heat and the adjustment stuff. But everyone else would get their own. Sure, I'd go ahead and get them the 2006 #8 or #7 depending on their preferences. And I'd probably have mine custom painted a beautiful, dark, sapphire blue with tones of violet, because that's my favorite and they don't let us have that lovely Japanese blue in the U.S.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You will all know when I win the lottery. It'll be all over the news.

Reporter: Now that you've won $100 million, what are your plans?
    Me: I'm buying another Prius!

6. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While I totally agree that it truly is "Obscene consumerism", the Maybach does do some pretty incredible things. It actually beats a Corvette in all but a very few preformance tests, like the slalom, where it comes in at a fraction of a second slower. It weighs in 3000lbs heavier than the corvette, so it's basically like a corvette carrying a Prius on its roof - and the engine is actually smaller than a Corvettes. As far as ammenities, all of the passengers are reclined in business class airplane seats, complete with rollout writing desks and a refrigerator near at hand. It's got solar panels on the roof that circulate air even while it's powered off. It's also bulletproof.

Oh yeah - the marketting for these cars is somewhat of an oddity - they target the top 200 most affluent people in the U.S., and hand deliver leather-bound brochures. The sales person becomes your personal contact, and usually they demo the car to you at your own house.

But I do agree, a car like this is just outlandish. However, there's a lot of awesome engineering in the car, particularly the Maybach's engine, that I hope will carry over to other cars. Ways of milking power out of an engine often lend over to efficiency tweaks. Perhaps Mercedes can use some of the same technology from the mayback to make a very efficient and very powerful hybrid!

Dave

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wasn't really 'allowed' to listen to non-christian music growing up in my very religious household. So though I was a child of the 80's, I didn't get to listen to anything other than the Amy Grant type stuff. As I came into my own so to speak, and rebelled in my high school years (early to mid 90's) I started listening to music I'd never heard before. Got into Metallica around that time, I think the Black album had just come out. Got into Megadeth shortly thereafter. It was all downhill from there. :)

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'll stick with my lexus ls460h

<3 19 speaker system w/ body heat sensing climate control and reclining rear seats w/ massage

9. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the maybach is cool, but i like the Maclaren SLR better. i had to take my car in for service the other day, and i was VERY surprised to see that the oakland, CA mercedes dealer has a Maclaren SLR in the window.

the image of britney spears driving a maclaren SLR all littered with beer cans and cigarette butts make the baby jesus cry. a lot.

[attachmentid=1804][attachmentid=1805]

10. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Still loving our Prius.... would not trade for any of these...

Cathy
    Orange County Prius Club
    ocprius.com