1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carson Toyota $6,000 mark ups?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by moonjewelle1, Feb 27, 2006.

1. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a very good idea, and one that may work.

2. mgmb

mgmb Junior Member

Manhattan Beach Toyota and Carson both told me that they were selling the Prius for $3,000 to $4,000 pver MSRP. I told them that I could get it for MSRP at a number of dealers. I bought my from South Bay Toyota at MSRP.

3. moonjewelle1

moonjewelle1 New Member

Thank you for the reply,I wish I knew this site before I purchase the car.
    Today I went to the Century city friends Lawyers office.And file documentation.
    But what Carson Toyota But Sales person Thema said "You can do whatever you want we are here to fight you."
    customer service Manager Heather Moreno said is "If you are going to Lawyer,I'm going to hung up your phone."She start to freak out I don't think they really thought I have lawyer friend.

I found the way to get out the situation.Lawyer went through every single word on the contract form and he found the this notice like
    "California is not allow cancelation and cooling off period unless if its Fraud"
    We are going to file this case for "Good faith business "Issue.
    I also contacted Japan head quater Toyota office and report the US Toyota dealer manner goes.

But I hope they are not shoot me the day I bring down payment.I'm thinking Carson Toyota is run by Gang, at least they have that kind of atomosphere no joke.If you are interested check them out.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

What payment ?

5. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the Calif DMV web site:

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

6. jpeachman

jpeachman Junior Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting. Many California resident posters on this forum and elsewhere have bought vehicles out of state and then registered them in California. I believe all the DMV info you're citing means is that California residents who buy a new vehicle out of state must register it in California by the time the vehicle has 7500 miles on it, or they will not be able to register it subsequently. (I suppose I should insert the usual IANAL, this is just my understanding). I hear some Las Vegas auto dealers get a good percentage of their business from California residents. 7500 miles is more than enough to drive a low-mileage vehicle all the way across the country to register it back in California.

7. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't read it the way you do, but DMV has written instructions with more than one interpretation. To me, it looks pretty clear, but all I was tying to suggest was that any California resident thinking of purchasing new out of state should look into the DMV policies, however they want to interpret it, and not be surprised later. Also there is the use taxes that should be considered.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The purpose of this policy is to prevent the importation into the state of new (as opposed to legitimate used) vehicles which do not conform to California emissions standards.

9. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Yeah.. all that PLUS the state wants to make it very hard to evade their punishing sales tax on autos. Did you know that many states charge a reduced sales tax on cars? Often only a couple of percent! In Taxafornia you pay the FULL BOAT -- 8.25% in my area! Heck, some states like NM even REMOVE the sales tax on hybrid cars!

So if you buy a new car out of state, Taxafornia will charge you an "excise tax" equal to the sales tax you WOULD have paid, had you bought the car in Taxafornia. The way to avoid this tax is to buy a used car. In other words, have Dad buy the car and drive it for 7501 miles at which point you can buy it from him.

Or just swallow hard and pay the damn tax, which is what I did.

10. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, they do! :D Rah rah NM! (ex-Californian speaking here)

We also don't pay a huge registration fee. It is a flat $48 (it went up a few dollars) no matter if the car is new or old. It is more if its a truck ($55 I think??).

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

3%, or about $700. Nice, but chump change for a person from CO or WV, that get state tax credits in the 3 - 4K range on top of the fed credit, AFAIK.

I still don't know understand how an average person from one of those states can even think of a different car.

Base Prius, for $15 K (plus TTL). Boggles the mind.

12. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Add DC to the list of places that charges full excise tax, but forgives it for hybrids. 8%. As good as a rebate. :)

But, they didn't pass it til after I bought mine and it's not retroactive :(

At least they also charge half price for hybrid registrations.

13. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi All,

I am juswt guessing here, but the way I read the suggestion was that you could purchase the car out of state for $2500 under MSRPk and driv it home. Even with the excise & sales taxes that would be added to your registration once you arrive here in CA it would still be a savings over buying the car here in the state to start. I am assuming the sales tax will be figured on what you actually paid for the car and not on the MSRP, or some higher arbitrary figure.

So, again the way I understood it, you might be able to buy your dream car for real close to MSRP including tax & license.

I agree that CA, for all its wonderful environmental stands (and needs)is not doing all that it could to encourage the increased purchase and use of more fuel efficient and less polluting vehicle options. The carpool benefit is a great first step, but more should and could be done.

I hope that the original poster who started this thread winds up getting their car from someone who will deal fairly with them and if what they say is accurate about how they were treated by some of the folks over at Carson Toyota, I hope those people get what they deserve as well.

Take care all,

Tisza

14. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IsrAmeriPrius is right ... this clause is intended ONLY for "49 state vehicles" that state on their emissions ID lable under the hood "... provided this vehicle is not sold or delivered to an ultimate purchaser for principal use in the state of California ..." rather than "This vehicle conforms to ... and to California regulations applicable to [model year]."

The Prius is a 50-state vehicle, so there is no problem buying one out of state and registering it in California.

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Hi fshagan:

Makes sense, as far as CA registration goes, but I think the question of CARB related warranties is stilll not cmpletely clear.

16. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw another thread on that issue, and wasn't aware of it. I do know if you buy a "49 state car" that isn't allowed in California, you cannot register it here (there are some exceptions; I think I read where the law allows vehicles left in an estate, etc.) I actually just looked this up today because my company has a fleet car in CO I'm trying to get transported to CA (lost my employee there).

17. DaveLev

DaveLev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe the poster - Carson Toyota quoted me 3k above MSRP. Bought Private Party instead.