1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carwash - soap got inside hatch near the hinge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ramdulari, Dec 25, 2010.

1. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I don't wash the car often so missed this until yesterday.
    I got the "works" - the carwash employees were wiping clean the interior of the car after the automatic wash. The hatch was open, and that's when I noticed that there were a lot of soap suds and moisture near the hinge area inside the hatch. :eek: I think that isn't right, all the doors and the hatch should be sealed water-tight so no moisture gets in. I wish I had taken a picture to post here...
    Has anyone noticed similar with their GIIIs? Should I take it to the dealer? :(:confused:

Thanks,
    Mihir

2. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've noticed the same thing on mine several times. Look closely and you will see the suds are outside the hatch seal, which is the rubber gasket that goes all the way around the hatch opening. In any case, I wish the car wash would adjust the rinse cycle so it did a more thorough job. The hinges are outside the gasket.

1 person likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Correct, the door jambs are in front of the seals. The type of water you are seeing is normal. No big deal, just wipe the jambs dry.

1 person likes this.
  5. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, it may be "normal" but I'd be paying more attention to how the soap/moisture gets in next time. Now with all the snow dumped here, I guess I'll be taking it out for a wash again soon :p