1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cash4Clunkers main website update

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DianneWhitmire, Aug 12, 2009.

1. urlyadoptr

urlyadoptr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update on my situation: After presenting my case to my dealer, I took delivery of my winter gray III yesterday and left my 2000 Explorer to await its demise. I can't commend the guys at Tufankjian Toyota in Braintree, MA enough. They really responded to my concerns and followed through. (Once I dealt with the owner, that is.) Persistence paid off. I really do hope they get reimbursed in a timely manner.

Jabber, your approach is fair and reasonable, as long as there's full disclosure up front (sounds like there is). Part of the problem I had was the initial vagueness of the terms of the deal. I had to push a little, but I'm now 100% satisfied.

Oh and by the way, the car is AWESOME! It was SO worth the wait!! :rockon:

2. jbedi

jbedi New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is probably the best price I have seen on Prius III. I am curious how you got the solar option on Prius III, since I was told that Solar option comes with trim IV only in CA.

3. ratpack

ratpack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Uh oh. I searched for almost 2 weeks to find a Prius...and it will be here on August 27th. I'm only doing this if I can use the CARS program. I'm starting to get a little worried...

Bryan

5. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you "bought" the Prius yet? More importantly, have you and the dealers filled out the CfC forms? If so, there shouldn't be any problems (see the article, plus think of the outrage if they stopped deals in progress for which the paperwork had already been submitted).

Or at least that's what I'm forcing myself to think, I'm in the same boat (but our car shows up on the 28th) :)

And if we're taking friendly bets, I put my money on an announcement that the program will end at the end of the month.

6. TangaRed

TangaRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got a call from my dealer (originally purchased July 31, red III, that was never delivered) say that they want to give me my money and clunker back and that they can't find another car - this a the last of the screwing around I've got from this dealer (Fairfield California) after they couldn't deliver the car, didn't tell me, lied about it being delivered the next day, on the truck etc. I'm really tired of toyota dealers.

7. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow. That is outrageous!

I assume you and the dealer entered into a sales contract? Did it include a VIN number? If so, you can probably sue them and/or report them to the CARS program (where they can potentially be fined $15,000).

I'm not a sue-happy guy. But in the last month, I have seen and witnessed dealerships doing the craziest things. Call it Dealerships Gone Wild. They need to be held accountable for these antics...

8. JayW

JayW New Member

holy crap. ive been looking for prius2 for like 3 weeks and it's been sold out everywhere in orange county ca, for my mom using clunker program. i stopped by 2 dealers today without any hopes, and when i stopped at 3rd dealer which i spotted on freeway, i saw a parked white prius. asked if it's for sale, and it was! no $2000 premium price over msrp like many other dealers. package 2 white which was my first choice. old car accepted for $4500. and while i was waiting for my mom to bring her old car, i saw like 2 couples wanting that prius. i heard that one couple didnt have the paperworks for clunker program.

came back like an hour ago and just read this thread saying the program might end soon. what a freaking lucky day!

it really happened. im not saying this to rub in someone else's face(sorry btw for those unlucky to find one). ive been calling and stopping at every dealers for the past 2 weeks, with most salesmen giving "we're sold out byebye" attitudes. im glad it's all over.

rip mazda mpv. hello prius. i just hope my mom will love it.

9. SilverPriusIII

SilverPriusIII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess your dealer is not telling you the truth. I have the III with solar and Nav package in Northern Calif. My Prius has only 2 miles at the dealership. I don't have leather seat which would be IV or V.

My MSRP has Prius III (Port/Plant: SF) retail price of $23,000 +3600 solar/Nav package +200 mats +$750 delivery process fee = $27550.

10. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Me too. During my two week search, I ran into dozens of "I don't care" and "We could care less about earning your business" attitudes from salesman at dealerships. It's really been a huge disappointment and has seriously changed my attitude towards Toyota. (great vehicles, but too many slimy dealerships)

Bryan

11. urlyadoptr

urlyadoptr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'd be really ticked off too. Make sure you verify that they didn't already submit for reimbursement from the government. If they did, the title on your clunker was reported as junked. I'm not sure how you can independently verify this, you might have to take their word for it. Did they ever have your junker's title or a copy of it? You might still be able to locate a dealer that would be willing to order one for you under C4C. Make some calls, you never know. Other dealers might be more motivated to work with you now that the program is winding down and interest has subsided.

Keep us posted, and good luck.

12. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If your clunker will make it to SoCal, call me. Maybe I can help?

13. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Bryan, I'm sorry but you're not thinking this thru.
    You were trying to find THE hottest, hardest car to locate during C4C - and blaming the guys - us folks - in the trenches who were also trying to scrabble for cars that were underproduced and in high demand.

I have seen THE worst behavior from some customers during this C4C era - if I can call it an era - and it feeeeels like an era - I've NEVER seen people so stressed out over a few thousand $ that they MIGHT be missing out on. Look at the post where the guy who wanted a II paid $2000 over the MSRP. For all the fuel that buys, he should have bought a nicely equipped Camry and still had 0% apr and a huge savings over time. Huge.

Anyway, had you been to other brands' dealerships, you'd have experienced the same phenomenon. NOT just Toyota. I think we got the worst of it.

14. TangaRed

TangaRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Dianne - I'll see how the old girl feels when I get her back. It had been running very well and a joy to drive, I'm just not sure about the 400 miles on the freeway. Note that this was the second dealer that I had problems with - I'm not disparaging all dealers but the two I had a deposit and a contract with did not follow any sort of standard business practice o good customer service.

15. swerthei

swerthei Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dianne, you may very well be one of the few decent Toyota dealers out there, but as a customer also looking for a new 2010 Prius (no C4C) I have encountered a lot of the same attitudes here in the S.F. Bay Area as have others in this thread. A WSJ article (online.wsj.com/article/SB125069973896543499.html) predicts another downturn in sales after CFC ends. I am quite happy to wait for that downturn, combined with the upcoming glut of cars after Toyota's recently announced increase in production. Hopefully that will put a bit more control back into the buyer's hands.

16. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I cxan get the car flat-bedded here for $250 and if it's running, then fine. I can't have a non-running car here for C4C... and come for the red/bisque NAV car we have in a IV! :)

Call me if you wish. C4C is coming to a close soon.

FYI: We have 213 clunkers and the US Gov owes us $800K STILL. Scary.

17. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh I have been no angel either. I'm not actually discussing that... what I wanted to point out to Brian is that ALL dealerships with 4cyl high demand cars are exhausted of inventory and overwhelmed with folks thinkin they can stroll up at the end of this program and have their pick of package and color.

The BAD stores are adding markups and fluff to cars. Those salesguys are making BANK and I frankly envy them. A $2K-$4K markup on a Prius x 25 Prius deals would sure make me enough extra $ to not worry about how slow September and October might be.

But -- all dealerships are stressed with lack of inventory -Ford, Hyundai, Honda, Subaru, you name it. Bryan was sharing that he felt bad in regards to how Toyota stores were behaving... and I feel like he's not seeing the entire picture.

18. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I couldn't even find a fusion hybrid to test drive

19. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dianne,

It was extremely late when I wrote that post last night, and perhaps I didn't communicate what I was trying to say very well.

I'm not upset at all that the Prius is hard to find, or the fact that dealers' inventory and allocations are low. I also know that dealerships are being run ragged by the pace of sales and tremendous administrative workload induced by the CARS program. I'm sure everyone at the dealerships are just plain exhausted.

But what really gets me is the attitude that I've faced by several of the dealerships when trying to communicate with them. There is still a basic level of customer service that should be provided when running a business, and in my opinion, it has been at an all-time low at a large number of businesses. I just checked my list, and I've talked extensively with 23 dealerships in the last couple of weeks, and I can honestly say that 11 of them have been good. That's less than 50%, and when you're in a business where customer satisfaction is extremely important, that's not a good percentage.

When I'm talking about unsatisfactory practices, here's a few abbreviated examples of what I've run into:

1) One dealership said they would take my order for a Prius, but they wanted $2,000 down to place the order. That's cool -- nothing wrong with that. However, they wanted me to sign an agreement that stated if the CARS program ended before they got reimbursed, I would have to pay them back the $4,500 and if I didn't take delivery of the specific Prius we were ordering (for any reason), then I forfeited my $2,000 deposit and could not even use it towards another vehicle on the lot. I told them there was no way I would sign such a agreement and they literally told me "step aside because someone else was waiting in line".

2) Two dealerships set their selling price at $2,500 above MSRP and had administrative fees between $600 and $800. I guess they're entitled to sell a car for any amount they want, but in my opinion, this qualifies as taking advantage of the consumer.

3) One dealership flat out said (in writing) that they are charging an additional $499 administrative fee for the CARS program. I'm sorry, but this is against the policy set forth by the government.

4) Several other dealerships that I visited in person and on the phone, we're flat out rude, arrogant, and not even remotely interested in talking to me. I get it that there's probably a hundred buyers for every available Prius, but you don't treat customers this way.

I will say that are some good dealerships out there. And I tell you what, I will drive great distances to give my business to these dealerships. I did so 3 years ago when I drove 206 miles to purchase my 2006 Prius and I will do so again. Ultimately, my vote is cast with my wallet and those who are providing superior customer service will get my vote every time.

Dianne, I will also say that you are one of the most helpful people I have ever seen. You are a prime example of absolutely superior customer service and I'm certain that you will prosper greatly due to your hard work, perseverance, and dedication. I'm serious as can be when I say this.

Now if only the others would try to emulate you...
    :)

Bryan

20. werewolf34

werewolf34 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting debate.

I've been shopping for a 2010 Prius and have seen some really good and bad behavior from dealers. The C4C credit and relatively short time window has really created a demand frenzy.

I've cross-shopped numerous brands over time and I'll say that Toyota dealers along with VW dealers aren't held to a tight line when it comes to professionalism. Strange coming from the same company that manages Lexus dealers.

If you don't want to sell me a car without a 2k markup, fine. But don't be unprofessional or discourteous when I decline. Toyota is not responsible for the way dealers behave but there should be a stronger feedback mechanism from Toyota to bad dealers. Bad = screwed over and unhappy customers, customers who will never buy a toyota again, dealers who damage the brand. I think dealers who are hosing customers (excessive markup, bogus C4C contracts) should have their allocations of future Prius reduced.

Customer are bad too when they are uninformed, rude, unrealistic but in this situation, I think the dealers are the ones who are really taking the mickey on this one.

When C4C is over, the selling power will really change (I think)