1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cassini the probe

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Sep 14, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    SnoozinJTD and RCO like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was up early Friday morning hoping to see some live feeds ... no luck. Went back to bed.

Yes, I know it would at most be rows and columns of numbers which don't bother me.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fascinating!

RCO likes this.
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Costs of space things:

The 15 Most Expensive Space Projects And Missions

Not posted because I object to spending in this way. Actually seems like a very good way to spend money. In terms of looking outward, James Webb telescope is the biggest one for coming years. I reckon we could do with another large project or two.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    spending is a subject for another thread. difficult to debate at 20 trillion in debt.

RCO likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Indeed cautious words should be chosen. NASA boosterism* at its best would say that technological spinoffs make 'space' a good investment.

*Not the kind involving liquid oxygen or perchlorates.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My career was a mix of NASA and Dept of Defense projects. So I have insights from 'inside the beast' to share:
    • Space shuttle - the wings, what a mistake. Space-X is doing it right and a capsule can be refurbished if designed that way.
    • Space stations - hard to justify the 'experiment'. Manned missions are terribly expensive but needed to show competence: Russians, USA, and China.
    Every manned and resupply mission led to a network configuration freeze and I was a network engineer. The fatalities taught painful but valuable lessons.

Rocket launchers, there are at least three, significant new USA rocket systems: Space-X Falcon series, NASA SLS, Blue Origin. Yet the Atlas and Delta rockets date from the Soyuz era. We have a bad habit in the USA of 'reinventing the nail' ... yes a much nicer nail after getting through all of the testing (and failures!)

Robot science missions, I love them because we learn things that can not be found by any other means except by 'sampling' observations. Sampling is better than none but world-wide communications, weather and surface observations, the planets, and observatories ... these let us learn what we could not find out by other means. Perfect, no but perfectible.

In recent years, the NASA budget has been running about $20B/year. Adjusted for inflation, pretty much flatlined but unlike the Dept of Defense budgets, open and subject to review and challenge. The Dept of Defense flies the only 'winged' drone, X37 but we can't talk about it. Still, it doesn't carry humans (that we know) and that is a good thing!

Yes, there are spinoffs from the space industry. There are hard problems and once solved, the solutions look for similar problems. I can appreciate the unique ability of humans to do non-trivial things that are hard to automate. But gosh darn, they have a huge overhead dealing with breathing, water, food, and waste disposal in zero-G.

Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "Space shuttle - the wings, what a mistake" Wing like X37B hides under shroud while 'cryo' ice bumps and grinds. That's OK. Leaving the wing exposed to ice caused rare catastrophic damage and 'routine' damage in many flights.

"it doesn't carry humans (that we know)". It certainly cannot, for such very long missions.

Human problems mentioned above refer to orbit which is still protected from some radiation damage. Humans have been outside the magnetic-field cocoon for 12 days max so far. It's pretty bad out there.

Mars robotic sample return would make the fastest atmospheric re-entry, unless a lot of effort is made to slow it down. I think that is not trivial.

9. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I was at work (night shift all this week and next) and found the NASA TV feed that came on at 7 am EDT (4 am MST) and watched the whole mission synopsis with interviews. Then, toward the end, watched the data feed flatline at 11:55:46 UTC. Even got a little misty-eyed. The fancy animation someone made of the end of mission didn't help. And, of course, I knew that the actual demise occurred about 87 minutes earlier. One-way lightspeed time. Mission accomplished, and then some.

bwilson4web and tochatihu like this.
  10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    AzWxGuy, can I haZ your 1965 Triumph?

RCO and AzWxGuy like this.
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Cassini the person was both an astrologer and astronomer, back when such pastimes could coexist.

12. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I wish I still had it. You could take a 90 degree flat turn at 45 mph with that car. It was the TR4A with electrically-actuated overdrive and removable hard top. It was red, of course. Babe magnet.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well, no deal then. Would have to spray paint British Racing Green. Low center of gravity and good-nuff suspension - check. Electrical system - ;ldkfhaw;eiorhle

Imagine that baby with proper modern tires...

T*y*r*e*s. OhMiGod.

RCO likes this.
  14. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I learned all my automotive skills on that car. Loved the way the "bonnet" opened full forward and you could sit on the front tires and tinker. I sold it to some guy that pulled up to the house in a white Bricklin with Rhode Island plates. I hope it is being driven cautiously somewhere on the east coast.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I learned automotive skills from a 1966 low-end Mercedes. How does that happen for modern kids? We may just be fossils, but an era of some value has clearly ended.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Once will do.

#16 tochatihu, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  17. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Modern kids will never know the joys of properly adjusted SU constant velocity carburetors. They will sit quietly in their push-button driverless cars checking their messages. End of an era is right.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "properly adjusted SU constant velocity carburetors". Oh my. An Oak Ridge National Labs' portable mass air flow sensor was borrowed once for this :whistle:

Now I guess it is things like drones and Arduinos that fuel young fires. Fossils ought not complain about displacement.

19. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    We're rapidly running away from the topic. But, since you're the OP... Arduinos and Raspberry Pi are interesting.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Whatever stokes peoples' imagination is good for me. Locating to a proper thread is just to simplify searches.