1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cat Converter Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriuSocal, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They are all back ordered and as far as making sure my Prius cat was original 2 years ago nobody would have looked to even see if the Prius had a cat for the most part until all the hullabaloo started with the people sneaking around in the middle of the night jacking up cars just steel catalytic converters like they were doing in the early '80s yeesh. And all of my other Toyotas I never had to worry about any of it you could take the cat off gut it put it back on the car check engine light would never come on had nothing to do with it now I've got Prius that are flushing and testing their own catalytic converter on the car just because they can whatever It's kind of a joke actually thank God I'm in a state that got rid of smog smart people or I'm in a county sorry.

2. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me refine the question. Was the car ever titled in CA? I think CA cars might have a special code or letter in the VIN.
    If it is missing that I think you are stuck. Next question will be how do you sell it? Is the title CA or do you have a title signed by the PO? If the latter there might be issues reselling it.

3. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's no such info in the VIN that specifies the state, there's a sticker in the hood or radiator support (see video below) that says if it's Federal or CARB compliant.

As a buyer in California (or anywhere) it pays to do more homework first before buying out of state vehicle. Majority of the time if there are are modified cold air intake in the car (in CARB states), it will automatically fail inspection. I even bought cars that have a clean title and then the state just informed me that it has a lien on it (happened to me twice already) luckily I bought them from people that I have complete contact info and willing to work with me to settle the issue.

4. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well for this Walker cat not being a CARB compliant cat, at $1054 isnt cheap either. Will update on the results after my appt.

bisco likes this.
  5. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never titled in CA but it is a CA Emissions Compliant model (says on the emissions tag under the hood). I already have the title transfer done here in CA and please read the post as not sure what you mean by "is the title CA".

6. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Emissions Sticker.jpeg

Nothing to worry on this end as although sold out of state it conforms to CA Emissions.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be true with an OEM catalytic converter installed. Presumably with a non-compliant CC installed it would void the label statement, would it not?

8. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldnt say that as im sure the CC isn't the only emission (CARB) compliant part on a CA vs a 49 state vehicle.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its a shame as a cat on Amazon for $125 fit perfectly and ran great on my car. But that wouldn't pass a CA smog check either as they check the model numbers on the body of the cat. It must have these 6 numbers:

Attached Files:

10. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are showing an OEM cat so obviously if you have that, it's gonna fly. Or do you mean that even the ones CA already has on their list of aftermarket cat's that are exempt (CARB legal, including magnaflow and walker) it is still suppose to have that letter/number combo on them as well?

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are photos of the cats that Ed took off his car and sold.

Presumably, other manufacturers of CARB-compliant cats would have their own marks on their cats which the inspectors would look for and pass/fail as appropriate.

edthefox5 likes this.