1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cat Converter Theft: Ambiguity about CARB laws in Maryland

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by schnebly5, Jul 21, 2021.

1. schnebly5

schnebly5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I'm a college student and the latest victim of cat converter theft on my 2005 Prius. Unfortunately no comprehensive insurance. I've read advice from people on here to buy an EPA approved catalytic converter for around $150 and have an independent mechanic install it. Something like MAYASAF from Amazon.

Every mechanic I call is quoting me like $800 for an aftermarket part, so I assume when they look up the part it's a CARB-approved one? Not sure why it's so expensive.

I live in Maryland, and it seems like according to Maryland law, all I need is an EPA approved one, however on a different MD website, they say they're one of 13 states to adopt California's "clean car standards". Anyone know if that's the same as CARB? Of course Maryland emissions inspection program is not answering the phone. FWIW, Walker exhaust doesn't list Maryland as a CARB state. (I have links to all these things, but the forum won't let me add links till I've created 4 posts).

As someone who doesn't know much about cars, I'm a little scared to buy some parts myself and have a mechanic install it, but if it's half the price, I need to do that as I can already barely afford this repair. The mechanic who initially looked at it said I needed the cat converter, O2 sensors, and front and back pipes replaced.... Anyone have recommendations for parts?

Thanks so much :( this is the worst.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it!
    carb states do not follow cali's cat requirement. here in ma, it just has to pass the smog test, but idk if any cat will do that or not. in cali, they actually look at the cat (supposedly)

do any of these mechs you called do inspections?

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This one will be just fine.

It has good reviews.

If you're handy, you can install it yourself. Here's a detailed video.

bisco likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the direct fit cat replacement are $130 and you need an 02 sensor too... If you can get you car up on jack stands it's a pretty easy installation too and only takes an hour or two. California is the only place I'm aware of that will fail a smog test if you don't have a super expensive OEM Toyota cat, so no worries about that.

5. schnebly5

schnebly5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, but the emissions test is what I'm worried about, and the state of MD does a smog test, visual cat inspection, etc. I'm surprised that carb states don't have the same requirement as california for cats? The MD official I spoke to from the emissions test program didn't know the answer to this question but said they "copy everything from California"

The mechanic also said I will need to replace the front and rear pipes. Thoughts?

#5 schnebly5, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2021
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's hard to tell without seeing the exhaust system. He most likely would be using a universal converter. I'd purchase the exact fit converter and try another shop.