1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cat just over 1 year old, P0420, 150k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mathewjg, Apr 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    January 2019 I had the cat stolen from my 2008 Prius. The insurance company took care of the work as I was on an extended holiday. The car has worked fine until approx October 2019. The orange engine light appeared and when I ran the diagnostic fault code P0420 appeared showing 0.03 reading. When I removed the fuel cap the fault disappeared, but it has come back and this time is not disappearing.
    The car has about 150k miles and has been regularly serviced since I bought it in 2011. Fuel economy was very good at 54mpg but now showing 45 since I returned from holiday in March. Oil is not being excessively burnt as far as I can tell.
    The CAT is not an original Toyota and has a 2 year guarantee. Is it likely that the CAT is failing? Should I take it back to them? It has passed an MOT and was serviced in November. Very little mileage since, specially with Covid restrictions and another extended holiday. Its been fault free since new and still in great working order except this problem.

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DING DING DING!!!!!

Toyota's and Subaru's, for whatever reason, are far more likely to log the P0420 fault than almost any others. Often, it is caused by worn out oxygen sensors, or exhaust leaks, but given the aftermarket CAT, not likely in your case.

anonymous likes this.