1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cat shield problems in snow belt?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RebL, Jan 7, 2021.

1. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The catalytic converter was stolen last night from my daughter's Gen 2 down in NC, d'oh. I have a Gen 4 in a Boston MA suburb, don't want to take the chance that the thief will know that mine is not Gen 2. I'm considering having an anti-theft shield installed, and wondered if there are any negative long-term implications in a region that uses salt on the roads. Will the salt be trapped against the cat and cause the whole area to rust out? Will I have issues with heat dissipation in the summer or during long road trips? Has anyone had one of these for a few years?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 4 is a totally different system. It hasn't got "a catalytic converter". It has 2 - one of which would almost require removing the engine to get to.

There has been a lot of discussion on PriusChat - we have had no reported Gen 4 thefts - they're all Gen 2 or 3.

RebL likes this.
  3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The shield is made of aluminum, which doesn’t rust. And it has enough venting to allow for cooling, at least on the Gen 2.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As with most things on Gen 4 - there is no comparison with old PRIUS.

Gen 4 is on the new TGNA platform which puts the Cat in a totally different place, much less accessible - and 2 small ones, one almost inaccessible. And no reports of being stolen.

RebL and Harters like this.
  5. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! and whew.