Cat stolen, how do I tell if I need just the 2 canisters or the whole tube?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nim, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Nim

Nim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I joined the stolen cat club. My O2 sensor wire is hanging and my speed/odometer display isnt working. The horn still works though! Had I realized this was such a rampant issue, I would have taken preventive deterrent measures.

The thieves left about one inch of pipe before it goes back further in the exhaust system. My question is:
    Is this enough leftover pipe to be able to buy just the catalytic converter part, or do I need to buy the cat plus the pipe that goes all the way back?
    I have a friend who's willing to install it for free and he's not exactly sure which part I should order.

I suppose a picture might help? It just snowed like eight inches here and I don't have a shovel and now it's getting dark so if anyone wants to see a picture I can take one in the morning.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you were in California you'd have to buy the entire exhaust system from Toyota for $2500. But because you aren't in California your friend just needs to get under the car and measure everything and figure out the fastest way to do it. In general, there won't be much problem with welding everything back together for you.

Data Daedalus and Nim like this.
  3. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I bought this one:

It's pricier than the other aftermarket ones, but after 6 months, I've had zero issues with it whatsoever. I had a muffler shop weld it up to the resonator that the thieves left behind. I probably had 1/2" of pipe sticking out/forward from the resonator. That was enough for the muffler shop to do the weld.

Nim likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't figure out what you bought? The image doesn't show up? Please clarify?

Data Daedalus and SFO like this.