1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAT stolen last night - what should I do? (uk)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by peakleak, Feb 22, 2021.

1. peakleak

peakleak New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I've only had my gen 2 prius for about three weeks and got in it today and sounded like a tractor when I started it!
    I live in a small town in staffordshire so thought Cat theft would be low risk!
    I paid £2k for the car and already bought a 12v battery, have a prolong charger being shipped from the US as i type!, and replaced the broken central screen. I wanted this to be a cheap runnaround so we don't have to drive our motorhome. I'm really gutted and have a few questions relating to a UK cat theft.....

- should I claim on insurance? - my excess is £250 and a claim may mean extra insurance costs next year? so I'm weighing up what to do - see next questions.
    - I see an aftermarket cat on ebay for £106 This must be a waste of time surely? the guy has sold hundreds though so surely would have bad feedback if it doesn't work? will it pass an MOT with this? at least if I get this someone wont steel it again?
    - If I go insurance route I would prob end up selling the car anyway as will assume the thieves will be back for another one. Or I could go insurance route and then replace cat with cheap one and save for when it fails the MOT or when I sell it?
    -my wife wants us to sell the car as soon as it's fixed. I don't really want to sell it as I've got the prolong charger coming and it was expensive and I really like the car! and the motor is pristine pre cat theft although hybrid battery doesn't seem to have much capacity but hopefully I can fix that.

Sorry about all the questions but I've searched the forum and can't see the answers I need.
    thanks!

2. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replace with an aftermarket cat which will cost you less than the 250 Excess.
    It won't fail the MOT because the MOT does not check emissions on hybrids in the UK.
    Don't go near Toyota and ask them to do it. Ask around for a local guy.
    It won't get stolen again because aftermarkets aren't worth anything.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Talk to your insurancer. This is precisely what comprehensive insurance is for. If you’re punished for making a claim of this nature I’d raise hell.

In the States at least, aftermarket Cat’s are being taken, sometimes: thieves working fast, maybe not too bright, in dead of night.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    American cat thieves generally work in the dark and dead of night to avoid getting shot. British thieves have little worry about getting shot, so can work in daytime when there is more light to evaluate the cat before taking it.

Separately, I wouldn't take the brightness (or lack thereof) of American thieves as a proxy for British thieves. With different opportunities and selection pressures, they could well get a different class of perps.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. peakleak

peakleak New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks for the responses.
    I've ordered a cheapo aftermarket cat and o2 sensor. for about £160. I worried about going via insurance as it may happen again and would likely cost more in the long run.
    Kicking my self as I had an idea of selling the original and putting an aftermarket one on anyway!
    I hope the thieves leave me alone when they realise that its aftermarket when they try again and they don't jack it up to find out - they've damaged the underside slightly the twats!
    So much for me thinking it would be an ultra cheap car to run!

6. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've spoken to a couple of mechanics who have fitted lots of aftermarket cats by now, Toyota and even more Honda jazz (which are more prevalent apparently) and they've never heard of an aftermarket one being taken.
    You can try your insurance but the only way that would be of any use is if you go to toyota and have the real one put back which will cost a lot more but you'd still have to pay the £250 excess. Then you'd have one that might certainly get stolen again so what's the point.
    Go for the aftermarket.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings!
    I'm not going to pretend to tell you how to deal with your insurance agent because regulations in your country are probably different than mine but your agent should be able to advise you.

One thing I can say with authority is that if you are allowed to fit an aftermarket catalytic converter to your car it should work quite well. I would have this done at a muffler (exhaust?) shop and I would also ask the mechanic if it might be a good idea to tack weld some metal rods to the pipe to make them a little harder to cut through. They should have plenty of scrap bits laying about and this should not cost more than an extra 5-10 GBP.

Good Luck!