1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cat Stolen - System Replaced at Shop - Car now has Tire Destroying Alignment Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lopro, Jan 31, 2023.

1. lopro

lopro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    signal-2023-01-31-110100_002.jpeg signal-2023-01-31-110105_002.jpeg Hello,

My Prius was targeted by Catalytic Converter thieves here in Oakland, CA. They were novices, they spent a total of 15+ minutes underneath the car (I have the security camera footage). This is the 2nd time it has happened, the car was equipped with a welded Diamond grate shield installed by previous repair shop. I don't think it was the most effective design but it was something.

I didn't drive the car in between when the cat was stolen and the repair completed. The first thing I noticed when I got the car back was the alignment -- car pulled very hard to the right. It had been raining like crazy, live on a hill, so I never had a good time to take a look underneath. Wish I had sooner. I will do that today while I am out, will bring a couple jackstands and find a nice level, safe parking lot to get it up and have a look, but what should I be paying attention to?

I told the shop not to bother with reinstalling the shield grate, so maybe it was related to the removal of the grate, again, it was welded in place.

The car did not have this issue prior, it's so pronounced that if you were in the right lane of highway and took hands off wheel for more than a second, you'd be in a ditch. You can also see the wear in the pics of the tire. Any pointers or thoughts welcome on what to look out for or if you have any other ideas/suggestions.

#1 lopro, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  2. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    That is serious wear. Tyre looks like its coming off the rim in pic 1. How long (in time and miles) were you driving on it?

tbh the rest of the tyre looks pretty EOL anyway.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the loss, and good luck with that replacement.
    Do you think they might return for a third round?

Curious if this is what was installed : Preventing Catalytic Converter theft | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Try visiting a shop that does free alignment inspections, and see what the say.

With tools/DIY mindset, you could try tweaking the alignment yourself, it may not be perfect, but you won't ditch yourself when sneezing.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Looks like camber way off . That's done at strut to hub bolts . They make camber bolts for the size of standard bolt you have .

lopro likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If that inner edge wear occurred only after the time of the theft, you should be able to see the problem from across the parking lot. Heck, the tire may be pointing at the engine.... That's some serious wear and is more typically seen on a long term alignment issue. Do you have a lowering kit installed that makes the tires sit at an angle? Perhaps the tire was already worn and tire pressure went low while it was sitting after the theft and that's what made it pull?

Is the wear on one tire or both?

6. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe they jacked it up under the control arm or something?

Take it to a mechanic, not a tire shop, and ask them to check all suspension components.

lopro likes this.
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't jack it up (yet). Set the steering wheel to straight ahead, then go around to the front of the car.

Ideally both front wheels should be pointed straight. I'm guessing that bad tire was on the right front, and that wheel is pointing quite a bit to the right while the left is straight. Which could happen if idiots stuck a jack behind the RF wheel to lift the car and bent the tie rod.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yep; if it was driving straight before the thief - the thieves damaged the suspension. That should be included in your insurance claim. The thieves could've bent the uni-body frame or wheels; depending on how they tipped up the car to cut out the CAT.

I'm guessing you didn't have a car alarm tilt sensor? Thieves usually leave a car alone if the see a decent CAT shield and hear an alarm.

What kind of CAT shield was installed; if it took them only 15 minutes to cut around it?

#8 BiomedO1, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  9. lopro

lopro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes that was my impression from the wear -- excessive positive camber.

It's on just the one tire. Car has 1000 miles on it since the repair.

The car only sat for about a week after the theft before it was towed to repair shop. No lowering kit or anything modified suspension wise. About a year ago the car hit a curb, got a flat on front left. I forget the other damage, might have been the knuckle. Car wasn't out of alignment once repaired.

Attached Files:

10. lopro

lopro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll go get better pictures, but from what I understand, they cut where they can and pull it out the back.

Yesterday I drove the car (with the spare tire) to an appt and took the freeway. While I know that speed should be limited on a spare tire, I ended up going up to 70Mph to keep with traffic. I was at 60-65 most of the trip. The car actually felt pretty good in terms of alignment, even pulling left if anything at all. I parked and after the appointment, was making my way onto freeway and the traction control light on dash starts blinking, I have no power. I can't get above 40mph. I throw on the hazards and luckily I am on a downhill slope so I am able to make it off the highway and onto a shoulder. I park and turn off the car. After a few minutes, I power on car again. Take sidestreets very slowly and make it home 10 minutes later. The TCS light was blinking throughout that drive, I was babying the throttle so not sure if there was a coinciding complete lack of power. It felt like only the electric motor was powering the car while on the freeway. It may have also been the case for part of that drive on the sidestreets, but I was going so slow it wasn't as noticeable. Here is a video showing the TCS light blinking despite no loss of traction.

#10 lopro, Feb 1, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now's the time to try and read some codes and see what we've got check all your wheel wiring to your hubs all four of them Make sure everything's plugged up not corroded nothing's cut while you're down there see what they did to your lower O2 sensor they just ripped it out cut the cord off If so make sure none of the wires are touching or go under the seat and undo the plug and just unplug what's left of the O2 sensors cord it's a start

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am inferring from your statement here, you used a donut spare. If that is the case, it should only be used on the rear axle to avoid issues with the traction control.

And, that donut spare should only be used to get you from the point of breakdown to the repair shop. But I suspect you know that already. Just putting it out there for any others reading that don't know.

SFO likes this.
  13. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The pictures in your first post would suggest otherwise?

You went on the freeway at 70mph with a space saver tire? That's just asking for trouble smh

#13 Todd Bonzalez, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If the tires don't match on the Prius you're going to get the VSC or the traction control going haywire even with very close sizes like 185 65 15's on the front 195 60 series on the back traction control light Dodge is in and out the whole time going down the road especially like over 45 if it'll allow you to get there it's constantly screwing with something reverse that situation and put the back tires on the front same thing I did this by a mistake I grabbed the wrong tires out of my garage to put on my Prius and I wound up with 195/65s on the back 185/65 on the front both 15-in tires slowed the car down it was just a mess initially I didn't know what was wrong till I got out and looked at the car closely and then realized that I had grabbed the wrong tires to put on the car I had the right ones in the shop I just didn't pick them up

15. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting regarding the TCS and VCS. Never came to mind. I've got the "custom exhaust" as-reported and as-found installed when purchased. From what I see, there are only wires handing down for the downstream sensor and nothing is connected to the upstream sensor.

However, I have a nice looking stock complete exhaust from the yard with brand new cat section (CARB Compliant Parts Search for CARB approved) I ordered off eBay, received the new Denso part number "Denso 234-4623 Downstream Oxygen Sensor with 23” 4-Wire Square Plug Harness for Calif. Equip" I ordered online and just a few minutes ago removed the Upstream sensor from the yard car with a PITA of a time custom grinding the HF 22mm O2 sensor socket to fit in the cup. Finally made enough contact to grip and worked er free with a pipe on the 3/8" ratchet after squirting a little Deep Creep in between the bung and sensor and a little in the cup. I was only able to remove the whole manifold piece at the yard, though can return the rest since I asked if I can and I only need that upstream sensor. Bonus of the 50% off sales timing.

Any advice for cleaning the upstream AF sensor?

Maybe there are some yards around or FB Marketplace or other places online or shops and you can find a matching pair of the correct size tires to have replaced on the cost effective (a.k.a. cheap) and no way that bad a tire used or your spare. Mine came with a cut out tray and a 175/65-15 on a stock rim for a spare and a set of 215/70-15's installed with a 1.5" lift. So I've been hunting around for good deals at the yard on online to see what's available.

I've found there are some shops listing tires on FB Marketplace for like $20 a piece, individuals that match yard prices and my local you pick and pull yard only charges $12 a tire. I've found I can't get the tires off the aluminum rims easily (paranoid or something about braking the rim), down the street from the yard are some places that will remove the tire for like $5-10. Then you can return the rim for a refund if that's easier. Then $10-15 a tire to replace and about the same price to balance. Walmart sells a cheap tire depth gauge so you know in the yard or where ever that you're at least investing in 7/32's or something good enough to tide you over until you can afford to invest in better tires. Feeling around and looking at the perimeter to assure is smooth and even wear of course with nothing damaging looking especially on the side walls.

Mine only has been throwing the related two O2 (AF) sensor codes and guessing that's adversely impacting my mpg performance.