1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

catalytic converte stolen and red triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bkcriz20, Jun 17, 2017.

1. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not sure if you follow any of my post but I recently had my Hybrid battery replace for a new one at a Toyota dealership on my Prius 2007. This repair took place on 6/13/17.

Well last night around 11pm after coming from a horrible Mets game, I decided to stay over my girlfriends house and since there was no parking anywhere I decided to park under a underpass (I notice other people sometimes park when the weather is horrible).

This morning when I came to my car I notice a small piece of log under my left back tire and found that very odd but though about I may have run over it and didn't see it last night. Well as soon as I started the car it sounded like a motorcycle and I began to get nervous. I didn't know what it was I drove I'll say about 2minutes and a check engine light popped up. So I decided to drive 2 blocks to a Auto zone to check my oil and it was almost bone dry so I added oil and the sound never went away. Then I drove afew blocks I'll say about 6 minutes to my girlfriends brother Mechanics and as soon as I drove it in his shop so he can lift it the red triangle popped up but when they lift it they instantly notice my catalytic converte was stolen because it was cut off.

I never knew about this piece before, I've never heard of a thieves stealing this part of a car before.

My girlfriends brother mechanic quoted me for part and labor of $830.

I just wanted to know if I should proceed with the repair or do I need to go to a Toyota dealership to get this fix.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thank you all

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The oem dealer part is probably double the price quoted. You may be getting an inferior part for that money. In CA, it's illegal to use aftermarket catalytic converter parts.

3. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe the brand he said he's buying us called "walker".

Is it a normal that when a cat converte is cut off that the Red triangle will pop up ok the dashboard.

Do you think I should still go on with the repair at a local mechanic shop??.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know someone that put on an eBay part, but it sounded loud. Not sure if it's a part issue or installation issue. I wouldn't do it

5. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would just weld in an Eastern aftermarket converter (eastern P/N 40544) and be done with it.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not that simple when someone cuts off the entire 2 catalytic converters and take the oxygen sensor. The entire pipe has to be made and if it's not something a welder has done before, it'll leak and won't fit properly.

The hope is the Ebay sellers that sell the complete part has done their homework and the part is custom fit.

7. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was assuming just a converter was cut off, if the whole pipe is missing you're right, it's pretty much dealer only.........too much aftermarket junk out there to chance that you'll get one that works well too.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm wondering why only the gen2 ones get stolen. Almost never hear of a gen3 get stolen

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know about Gen2 vs. Gen3 but the cat converter contains a lot of platinum is the reason for the heist. We heard more of that in CA than NY but as I had a Camry stolen in NY years ago, I know the territory there too (or used to anyways).

Sometimes when platinum cost is high they shift to palladium, but I do not know if Gen3 had that happen.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Report to your INSURANCE COMPANY and the POLICE, have it TOWED to a Toyota dealer, there may be more damage than was initially apparent.

Mendel Leisk likes this.