1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter Aftermarket or Toyota Parts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Determined Dad, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Determined Dad

Determined Dad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear Prius Owners who have changed their catalytic converters via Toyota dealerships, buying replacement parts from EBay, Amazon, Local Shop and doing the repairs yourself or taking the parts to a local mechanic.

Did you buy an aftermarket converter or factory replacement parts?
    If so, what kind of warranty came with it?
    How long did your replacement catalytic converter last?

Would you have done anything different?

I have a 2009 and the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. The cost is double what I thought it would be. I had a 2001 Prius - 3rd one off the lot when the first delivery was made to MA. I replaced the catalytic converter on the 01 Prius with Toyota parts done at a dealership after comparing prices from various places. 5 years later, I had the same dealership replace the converter again at no charge because it was a lifetime guarantee and I had the original sales receipt and documentation.

I am looking for suggestions. I plan on keeping the car until it dies like my original - the transmission died after 375K miles on it.

Thank you for your help.

Kevin

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can buy a weld on one from Amazon for about $100.

EBay sells a bolt on version with 2 catalytic converters for $260.

I have been told the bolt on one is louder than stock

3. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From my experience, (not a good one) , the cheap, aftermarket cats will last only a year or so in the rust belt. Buyer beware...