1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter Attempted Theft - Making Noises After Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Friendlyx, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good Morning everyone! I am once again asked about a catalytic converter on my 06. Again there was someone trying to steal it from my Prius. However, I'm guessing someone at work spooked them because they only cut one side off which was the side near the o2 sensor. They did cut the o2 sensor and that side of the catalytic converter, however they didn't actually cut the other side. We decided to take it to someone to put it back on and also replaced the o2 sensor too. However, now there is a small sound left behind that sounds like what the car sounded before i put back the catalytic converter but in a much small contained sound. Is there any reason why? We did replace the catalytic converter once and didn't have this issue. There is no check engine light, we've tried disconnecting the 12v but nothing.

Thanks in advanced!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there is noise, it just means there is a leak somewhere. Maybe the 02 sensor is not installed correctly? If they welded the cut pipe back, maybe there's a leak where the pipes are welded. You should just have the shop that did the work, recheck it

SFO likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably used pipe clamps instead of welding it and it’s leaking.

Welding it is pretty cheap like $80.

when my cat was replaced they used an big adapter collar where the thieves typically cut into it the muffler guy showed me and that made it twice as hard to cut it off. Twice as thick. Plummer’s pipe cutter would not work and if they used a sawzall it would take more time than stock and be ungodly loud.

if your cat gets stolen ask the muffler guy to weld a bigger pipe over the connection it will make it more time consuming for the thieves.

Duke the muffler guy $20 and tell him try to make that connection hard to sawzall it off weld anything you can onto that section. There going to get it if they want it but more time under there means more time to catch them.