1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter cut, but not stolen - question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Acehigh1, Apr 22, 2022.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more thing as I missed the part where you had initially said insurance was paying for a brand new cat assembly. I'm not sure if they would do this, but make sure that Toyota dealership puts on an oem assembly and not an aftermarket version. I doubt they'd do that, but worth checking. As "Another" stated, it's amazing they let you keep it. Lastly, in the interim, make sure your son doesn't leave the cat visible inside his car!

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    May I ask which insurance company you have? I might just switch….

Another likes this.
  3. Acehigh1

Acehigh1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great points you raise. I have definitely thought about the fact that the dealer said they could not work with the original part...yet "it is here and looks in good shape still" (as in still has some value?) Aside from that, I have a MillerCAT SS Cat Shield Complete package being shipped to the dealer to arrive Tues. The woman at MillerCAT said to me that this is the new package with the deadbolt and must be fit on an OEM, as it has been found to not fit well over aftermarket ones, so they only want these sold to go on OEM Cats. I am trusting that an OEM is first put on or I might hear that there is fit issues. So could an aftermarket be substituted with a Cat Shield going over it, so it will be hard to tell if true OEM or not? Does anyone have any info on telltale signs of an OEM Cat that is not on aftermarket ones? If there a Toyota symbol or specific numbering on OEM Cats that I can ask the SA to take a picture of, as well as a picture of the MillerCAT installed before lowering the car. I also was going to ask him to slide the old cat into the new cat's box if there is one. Anything else visible that OEM's have that aftermarket ones don't? Thx.
    Here is the MillerCAT with deadbolt: https://catshield.com/collections/cat-shield%E2%84%A2-by-millercat-stainless-steel/products/stainless-steel-millercat-2004-2009-prius-gen-2-cat-shield

4. Acehigh1

Acehigh1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I sent you a separate note.

5. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, oem cats are easy to ID, they are engraved with Toyota emblem with print "EA6" and "GD3". Just call up the dealership and say you would like to confirm that they're installing an oem cat assembly - doubt they would lie to you if you ask them straight up. On second thought, a photo is a good idea! Btw, there are aftermarket cats that are almost identical in fit to oem.

Acehigh1 likes this.
  6. Acehigh1

Acehigh1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The new OEM Cat was installed as well as the new MillerCAT Shield with the deadbolt clamp. That OEM Cat looks so nice, but the MillerCAT Shield on it looks even better. New Prius Cat.jpeg MillerCAT Shield.jpeg

Another and Merkey like this.
  7. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't see the EA6 and GD3 engraving - maybe just the angle of the photograph or they have updated the identification markings? Anyone know if Toyota has stopped marking Prius cats? I'd still confirm that they installed an oem version as that's what you were promised.

8. Acehigh1

Acehigh1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just rec'd the requested receipt of work done. It lists all work done, incl the $350.42 they charged me to install the MillerCAT Shield that I had already paid $360 to have shipped to them from the Bay Area. So the MillerCAT + install set me back $710. Not sure if the part #s, along w/ name of the parts listed would help identify if OEM or not, but I was told it was OEM by the SA. Is it possible that the numbers or logo are on the part facing up, or on the front section of the Cat not in view in the pic? I know the insurance would absolutely want to know if they were charged an OEM price for a non-OEM part! Unless proven otherwise, I have to go on the faith of the SA at the dealer that stated an OEM was being put on, and that it actually went on. Anything different is fraud, of course, but I am in no way saying that has happened...unless someone tells me otherwise. Thanks.

Attached Files:

9. Acehigh1

Acehigh1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just did a search and found the following link: 17410-21500 Genuine Toyota Front Exhaust Pipe Assembly It is an OEM part, and the "retail price" listed on this site is identical to what was charged on my invoice.

Another likes this.