Catalytic converter protection: Auto Defender vs. Cat Shield?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NewHybridOwner, May 17, 2020.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I repeat: But as the heat rises, it draws in the cooler air. So it really should make any difference.

2. Peter Chicarielli

Peter Chicarielli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Two nights ago my Prius' Cat was stolen from my apartment's parking lot. What a shitty feeling when I realized it wasn't some engine issue and it was actually theft.

My other vehicle is a Honda Accord. I've heard from the guy at Midas, and the insurance agent, that both a Prius and Honda are common targets.

To be safe, I think I'll get a shield for each vehicle ( I live in Philly/urban area).

I know the two main brands that sell these shields are both around $180, but I found two ebay sellers that seem reputable that are offering them at $110 each (if I buy two).

My only concern is quality. I just read someone's question about thermal temps, and it got me thinking, "Are these cheaper versions, also cheaper is quality, or is this all made from the same type of aluminum?"

Other than that, hardware would be the big difference. I would think one-way screws would be sufficient since all we can really do is create a deterrent and not be the lowest hanging fruit.

Any advice? I'd love to save $100 since I'm buying two. The $500 deductible is hard enough to swallow.

I know you get what you pay for, but that doesn't necessarily translate to these e-bay items being a bad decision.

Thanks everyone!

3. Miller CAT

Miller CAT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry for your loss. Not trying to be a salesman here but since you live in Philly salt roads and galvanic corrosion might be something you want to think about. All these shields you see online are probably made from Aluminum and they all probably require drilling into the frame of the car. When the Aluminum shields touch the exposed steel frame of the car you will get galvanic corrosion and that will intensify with the salt from the roads. We thought of this when we designed our shields and that is why we use Zinc coated rivet nuts. The Zinc from the rivet nut will insulate the steel from the aluminum. This will happen to anyone who lives near salt water and especially those that live where they salt the roads.

2012 Prius v wagon 3 likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was not confident of the supplied aluminum rivets and screws. Having extensively used blind rivets for many years, I have easily drilled out many aluminum rivets.

On that account, I replaced all of the aluminum rivets with stainless steel ones backed with stainless steel fender washers. My experience is that stainless steel rivets are really difficult to drill out. The bit will not readily into them and just spins the rivet in the hole. This is because the friction between the rivet and the rivet hole is not enough to keep it from spinning. The edge of the thin rivet must be difficultly and tediously held with pliers to keep it from spinning while being drilled. Ideally it would be easier held at the other end if accessible, but not in the case of this install. The washers under the rivet head also increases the likelihood of the rivet spinning when drilled.

Ultimately, the only for the shield to be removed way would be to grind off the rivet heads. That is obviously tedious and time consuming.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They could just cut a longitudinal split on the shield itself, pry it back. Probably just as time consuming and arduous.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How often would you be removing it???
    Would you need to remove it?
    Other than having to replace the exhaust system. Again, how often? :)