1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic converter protection: Auto Defender vs. Cat Shield?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NewHybridOwner, May 17, 2020.

1. Miller CAT

Miller CAT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for purchasing one of our shields! I wouldn't worry too much about galvanic corrosion on the 4th gen model due to the fact you don't drill into the frame. The gen 4 shield is a complete bolt on using existing holes in the car, and the steel underneath the car is coated. The galvanic corrosion issue is mainly with the any model prius that needs to be drilled in the subframe. When you expose the drilled carbon steel to the aluminum shield, those two dissimilar metals will cause the galvanic corrosion. But since we use zinc coated rivet nuts whenever you have to drill, we don't expose the steel frame directly to our shield thereby preventing galvanic corrosion. In your case if you are worried about any dissimilar metals touching, its best to use nylon washers anywhere dissimilar metals touch. You could add nylon washers in-between the frame and the shield, thereby preventing the two metals from ever touching. As for any discounts, we can talk in pm.

Blue Prius2015 likes this.
  2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The electrostatically applied anti corrosion coating on the bare metal of the chassis rails in exceptionally thin. After that, the underside is painted with the car's outer color. While the clear top coat is applied to the body panels, none is applied to the undersides. While this provides a degree of corrosion protection, it is not optimal.

Whether using an aluminum or stainless shield cat shield, to assure additional corrosion protection, I'd spray the contact area between the shield and the chassis with a rustproofing compound like this.

The thin plating on the steel rivet nuts offer very little protection against rusting when in contact with the drilled bare steel of the rails. For added protection, I applied JB Weld epoxy to mine before setting them. This offers an optimal level of corrosion protection by eliminating any "air space" between the rivet nut and the exposed metal. Less effect would be applying rustproofing to the drilled hole when installing the rivet nut. Any seam sealer compound could also be used.

To eliminate contact between the stainless steel screws and the plate, either aluminum or stainless steel, I used #14 neoprene backed stainless steel washers. The rubber washers eliminate contact between the shield and the screws.

Miller CAT and Blue Prius2015 like this.
  3. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had my Millercat shield installed by Toyota. When I picked up the car, there was a smell, so I assume that they treated something with some sort of spray or rustproofing. (It smelled to my untrained nose like rustproofing, or WD40, or similar. The smell did not last.) Do you know what Toyota uses when they install the shield?

mikey_t and Miller CAT like this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

There is still a gap between the plate and the frame rails where dust, dirt an salt bearing moisture can accumulate.

The can comes with a very narrow straw like a WD40 can, The gaps can easily be reached without jacking up the car and the spray can takes no more than a couple of minutes to apply.

Definitely worth the time and cost.

#84 Georgina Rudkus, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Miller CAT likes this.
  5. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your pictures aren't showing up. :(

6. Blue Prius2015

Blue Prius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Georgina! Can you spell out your suggestion for a spray against corrosion? Your link does not show up.

Also, MillerCat now sends along 3 strips of adhesive foam to distance the shield from the frame and cat, so there's bound to be significant separation all around. The spray idea ... what is it?... gets better and better. I do have some spray that's black undercoating that is a rust preventive...perhaps that would be appropriate? It is a rather thick spray.

7. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not undercoating which is useless and traps water that is conducive to promoting rust underneath like plastic panel and maybe the plastic foam.

You want a rustproofing compound. You apparently have some kind of internet spam blocker.

Search for:
    CRC 06026 Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor, 10 Wt Oz
    on Amazon.com

SeattleBebop1 and Blue Prius2015 like this.
  8. Blue Prius2015

Blue Prius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Got it, it is coming from Amazon.
    No doubt about probable ad blockers...I'll take em' all.

9. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the tip! How often would you recommend spraying this? I've got the aluminum Cat Security with stainless steel screws on my Prime. We don't need to salt the roads up here very often in Seattle so I don't think corrosion is as bad as it is in the East Coast.

10. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In your case, you can spray it one and it will likely last the life of the car.

SeattleBebop1 likes this.
  11. Hairy Cannonball

Hairy Cannonball New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can not help but think that an alarm, and a shotgun, would be the best prevention......

ASRDogman likes this.
  12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don’t let the inciting violence police prius chat members find your statement, you’ll be poop poo’d on like the feller who goes by the initials of etcss.

SFO likes this.
  13. Wooward

Wooward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just installed the Auto Defender with the aluminum panel touching the frame. On right hand turns, I can hear a rattle sometimes. I probably need to remove the panel and install some foam or rubber barrier in between to silence the noise. Guess I'll have to break out the drill and grinder to remove the rivets/security screws...

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could try using a shim to wedge between the frame and aluminum.
    Probably one of the rivets/screws aren't quite tight enough?

#94 ASRDogman, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  15. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The same happened to me. All I did was to grab the center edge and pulled it down. The span was flexible enough that it bent down to provide additional clearance. That was 6 months ago. Still, no rattle.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Model 3

Model 3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn’t realize that there was another vendor that offers cat theft prevention

17. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Violence vs. pacifism debates aside, I'm a bit busy to be hanging around the parking lot 24/7, staring at my car with an eagle eye. You may have more free time on your hands though, lol.

18. Wooward

Wooward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you grab the area I circled in Red? I'll give it a try. And I'll try a shim first as well on the frame, before I drill/grind. Thanks for the ideas!

Attached Files:

19. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  20. EddieSudz02

EddieSudz02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I installed 2 MillerCat shields. One for our 2007 and one for our 2013. Pretty easy install and no noise at all! Knocked both out in just a few hours.

Miller CAT and Raytheeagle like this.