1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic converter protection: Auto Defender vs. Cat Shield?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NewHybridOwner, May 17, 2020.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you'll feel differently when they are steeling your property...

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't live in the UK, so am not under the same legal and cultural restrictions that constrain them.

While not unbounded at all, we do have a slight bit more freedom in response here. We shouldn't blame Brits for staying within their bounds.

#122 fuzzy1, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not blaming them. Why are you being so defensive? No need to be.
    It's already be said that someone recorded it from their display/tv of their secruity system....

I believe it's a dead horse.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    a dead horse stole the cat converter?! I will pay to see the cctv footage.

5. samuraisd

samuraisd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got the AD Cat defender from ebay, and I need to drill 5 holes at least, 3 on the passenger side, 2 on driver side behind the A arm. I do think I need 5 thick nylon washer too because the plate isn't flushed to the frame when the top 4 rivets are in place. I only test fitted the plate with the factory platic clip at the top 4 points. I have a "Hyper Tough" 18V cordless drill I bought from Walmart. Can this drill through that prius gen 3 frame metal? Cat defender seems to come with aluminum pop rivets. 4 1/2", and 5 3/16" for the rest of the holes, mix and match with tapping screws. The CRC corrosion inhibitor is out of stock now from amazon, walmart. One selling on ebay is jacking up the price to $149 for a bottle. I guess I need to use other form of anti corrosion method? Or just all nylon washer for all the contact point?

6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Walmart drill will be just fine. Just make sure you use a good quality drill bet. Not all drill bets are created equal. I use cobalt drill bits like these as they will even drill through hardened high carbon steel.

LPS3 wil do just as well as the CRC stuff. I'd forget the nylon washers, as they will make gaps that will fill with water, salt and debris.

#126 Georgina Rudkus, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    samuraisd likes this.
  7. samuraisd

samuraisd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! Yah, I think I have a set of Irwin's 15 pro kit pack back years ago. I think it's cobalt. Ordered LPS3 ready to go! Thanks a bunch.

8. k barbieri

k barbieri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine way stinks non broad daylight on a Sunday morning. My building camera caught then From the time they rolled up to my car and left 2 minutes 38 seconds and nobody jacked the car up!
    The car they were in was very noisy so you can’t hear them cutting out the Cat.