1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic converter replacement fun

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Adebrettski, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Adebrettski

Adebrettski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my cat stolen, and the enterprising souls responsible have seemingly nonsensically cut one of the bolts clean off that hold the front flange to the exhaust manifold leaving an 1/8th inch of the bolt sticking out behind the flange and the flange stuck in place. Other bolt was intact and was easy enough to remove with torch and impact.

I'm thinking there might be enough there to cut a straight notch in what's left and try to get it out with a flathead bit on the impact, but I'm noticing also that the mating flange attached to the exhaust might be removable from the car also which if I could get off would make bolt removal easier. Can anyone speak to the ease at which the other flange with the stuck bolt inside could be removed and replaced with no leaks after I get the cut bolt out? Or any ideas on the feasibility of getting the bolt out without further disassembly?

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That looks like a huge pain to deal with under your car... If I were you I'd by an exhaust header gasket, pull out the windshield wiper assembly and metal cover it sits in and remove the exhaust manifold so you can resolve that busted bolt in a vise rather doing it from underneath...

Adebrettski and SFO like this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Option 1, see if there is enough sticking out the back side to grab it with vice grips and screw it UP-wards. Might need to heat it first.
    2, drill out the bolt; either drill small and try to tap it and save the threads, or drill large and just use a nut to hold the new spring bolt.
    3, have some one weld a nut to what's left then use that to unscrew it.
    4, use a sawzall or cutoff wheel to make a slice through the edge of the flange and completely through the bolt (from 3:00 towards 9:00 on your pic). Once the bolt stub is split you can collapse what's left and remove it. If the cut is slim, then the remaining threads should hold a new bolt. Or use another nut behind it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Adebrettski likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Drill a pilot hole and then use an extractor bit, the kind with aggressive reverse threads?

It’s screwing into a weld-nut on the far side?

Adebrettski and ozmatt like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    omg thats a nightmare. What idiots.

yeah I think the mani is going to have to come off. Unless your taking it to a shop your laying on the ground under it which makes dealing with it connected to the mani 10 times harder.

Adebrettski likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the mani Have to take the windshield water dam off by removing the wipers and unscrewing a few things gives you a little more room to get at it.
    I cannot remember anyone on this site removing the mani. The sob’s.

all I can recommend is use quality sockets not harbor freight pos stuff.
    truly a nightmare I feel for you,

you may want to try mr man guys advice first if you can I like it the best
    If you F that up the mani has to come off anyway.

wear protective glasses there will lots of metal flying around

Adebrettski likes this.
  7. Adebrettski

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'm going to try to bust out the welder and my somewhat half baked welding skills and try to weld a nut on the stub first, then move on to more derastic measures.from there.. I appreciate all the help.on this thread.

8. Adebrettski

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As suggested by Mr guy man guy dude

edthefox5 likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh your a welder? Alright!

Hard to get to but if you can weld a nut to the backside of that stub? Hopefully unscrew it out. Good luck thats such a bastard thing to do to someone cut that bolt off flush...my god.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That makes sense... May your welding skills be way better than half-baked once you're done. Make sure to double and triple check how solid your jacked up car supports are / super extra safe with redundancy, same with welding gear!

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One bulletproof redundancy is something thicker than you and solid, under the car with you. (y)

Adebrettski and Merkey like this.
  12. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Practice some first. This can be a huge PIA for any weldor- even one with experience and a lift. Get some bolts and nuts - figure out the technique when it's out in the open and you are welding down. 1 way to do it is to get a big thick washer over the stub then weld it. Then weld a big nut (say a 1/2 inch) to the edge of the washer. Be prepared to do it several times because it can break off.
    Second way to do it is to carefully put a small blob of weld on the end of the stub, then hold the nut onto it and add more weld to the center.
    Before welding on the car it is a good idea to disconnect the 12V battery to leesen any chances of damaging the car's electronics.

13. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Also realize that if you're doing this on jackstands, then you are going to be in a very poor position while you work- bad access to reach the work with both hands, difficult to see with a helmut on, and underneath where all the sparks and spatter will fall.
    It can be done but be sure to have good protective gear on.

Adebrettski and PriusCamper like this.
  14. Adebrettski

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well the update is that i was able to use a oscillating multitool (burned through two blades lol) and cut a straight notch in the stub, got a drag link flathead socket that i filed down a bit to fit, soaked it in penetrating oil for days, heated the nut side red hot with mapp gas, then wailed on it with the impact back and forth for a bit and it came loose.

unfortunately the bolt remnant fell into the part of suspension just below into some crevice and i cant find it to take a picture of the thing to show and keep it as a trophy. didnt have to break out the welder but thank you for advice mr_guy_mann im sure I will use it in the future for some piece of s*** broken bolt :)

welder was used on new masayaf chinese cat from amazon, going back in the car today... then with a galvanized extruded metal sheet (as recommened on these boards) over it and "aftermarket" painted on the cat in exhaust header paint. hopefully no more midnight angle grinder incidents and no p0402 codes :)

thanks all

privilege and PriusCamper like this.
  15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    i use reverse drill bits personally usually fastener follows...

16. Drive4free

Drive4free New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ran into the same issue. I used my
    M12 12V Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/4 in. Hex screwdriver as a drill, and I drilled a hole in the center with a 5/32 in. bit about a half an inch deep. I then used the 3/8 in. bit to remove the mushroomhead portion of the bolt. Then, using the 5/16 bit, I bored into the hole just past the opening; so, I was probably only a 32nd of an inch into the hole. Then, I used a 3/16 to bore completely through bolt, I then bored through with a 7/16, and lastly with a 1/4 bit. Finally, using a no. 3 bolt extractor, I was able to spin it out.

It was trial and error, and it took a lot of strength. I have really long arms, which helped with this. This method may not work for everyone. If I had to do over, I probably would have gotten the next biggest bolt extractor size (no. 4?) and bored through with a 5/16 bit. The more you bore, the easier it will come out. *The catalytic converter I purchased came with 2 nuts for the main bolts. So, if you damage the threads on the manifold, just put a nut on the backside. Hope this helps!

#16 Drive4free, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally agree... I can go work 5 hours of extreme hard labor in someone's garden, but a hour or two under a Prius on jack stands dealing with a cat swap that didn't go as planned can make me even more sore the next day. And that's not even doing the welding part.

18. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    using a welder in this scenario will only take less than 5 minutes. The heat from the welder loosens up the bolt if it's rusted stuck. When I replaced the stolen catalytic converter on my Volvo xc90, one of the exhaust bolts broke its head. I was thinking that it's going to be a long day dealing with this bolt (the exhaust manifold area is not fun). Luckily I got a stick welder and has some sticks lying around (last one), welded a nut, let it cool down and I just loosen it as smooth as butter.