1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic converter replacemet

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by beth524, Jul 24, 2012.

1. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    After hearing some loud noise coming from my exhaust system, it was determined that there is a hole (from rust) in part of the cat. assembly. Three shops each quoted me around $1500 replacement, as there are no aftermarket products for this unit. I have NOT gotten any error codes, the only problem is the noise. What to do? The car is 10 years old with 86000 miles. I have beeen reading about some of you getting just the one piece and having it welded on, but I do not believe any of the shops here will do that, and indicated that it would be a very temporary fix. Thanks for any guidance.

2. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It is probably against federal law to modify the cat (even welding on to it).. So good luck finding someone to do that. You would need a picture of where/ how bad the hole is to get any useful advice.

I have trouble believing they can do it for even $1500 as Toyota is charging almost $1200 for the part. This cat has a HCAC valve on the front of it that all comes as one piece.

You may be able to get some high temp epoxy putty to plug the hole, but it depends on how bad the rust is and where it is located.

3. bobofky

bobofky Member

There are after-market catalytic converters if you are not in California. I have had them replaced in two 2001 Priuses for less than $200 each. Search the internet and you will find them.

4. Gen1guy

Gen1guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As above search for OBD II compliant cat replacement or better yet a carb certified unit will get you through much the same for significantly less

Have fun !

Eric

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The chance of any epoxy fixing this is probably nill. A hole indicates bad rust.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Doesn't that leave, like, $300 for installation? I can't imagine it's a six-hour job....

-Chap

8. David Johnson

David Johnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think i am experiencing a similar problem with my Prius. When I am driving over 30 MPH I can hear a loud humming sound and i thought it was my muffler. I took it to two muffler shops and they both said the muffler is fine. One guy said he believes it is the catalytic converter which I doubted until now. :( he said it would cost around $550 to replace it. But I thought the noise was coming from more towards the rear. Once I am doing around 60 - 70 mph I nearly need earplugs. My sister says it almost sounds like driving a car in low gear but when I take my foot off the gas the car coasts just fine (unlike a car would that is stuck in 2nd gear at 70 mph).

i don't have $550. I can probably come up with $50. So what do I do? How can I be sure if it is the converter before moving ahead with the expense?

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does the hum stay or go away if you reach say 40-50 mph and shift into "N"?

Bob Wilson

10. David Johnson

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It stays around the same decibel, but isn't as loud outside of the vehicle (I drove with the door open and my head dragging on the ground).

11. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are in California you're screwed, you have to use the OEM cat. Everywhere else you have options.

Since the OP is not in California, go to "mom and pop" muffler shop and have them weld in an aftermarket cat.
    There is even a clamp on direct fit unit (eastern 40544), but the clamp can often leak so best to have the shop weld it on. Muffler shops do this sort of thing all day.

yotatoter and bwilson4web like this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good thing they are not near Nevada or Idaho where they'd probably do the welding for free. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

13. David Johnson

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    well I am going to take it to the dealership to have them inspect it for $65 to tell me what is wrong with the car. To have to pay a dealership to diagnose a problem is ridiculous

14. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Drive to Nevada and get the work done. Spend a day and night at one if the hotels.

15. David Johnson

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Turns out that the loud noise I was hearing was from the bearings in the driver's side rear wheel. Toyota said the hub and bearings come as one piece for my car so that cost me around $330.00. It is running quiet now. The noise had gotten unbearable.

yotatoter, bwilson4web and JMD like this.
  16. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can we get an update please. Did the check engine light stay off? For how long?

17. Oc.dreamer

Oc.dreamer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi can u please post pictures of the hole? My prius is making the same super loud noise.

18. Oc.dreamer

Oc.dreamer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    330 for the part? Or does that include install?