1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter shield advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by icyrius, Feb 23, 2022.

1. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,
    My son received advice to install a catalytic converter shield from his college advisor who had hers stolen from her Prius last month. I found one on Ebay for less than $50, except I would have to install it myself.

5E500BA5-82EE-4E2B-B333-43795A7E03B3.png

Can this be installed even if you do not own a car lift? I only have a couple of HarborFreight ramps that are high enough for me to get under the front of the car.

Thanks for your help.

2. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure how high your ramps are, just make sure you have enough room under the car for the riveter and the drill you use. I did it myself using 2 small jack stands and a 10" riveter.

icyrius likes this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You can on ramps, but it's a little tight. You will need to make a clearance cut for the cat on a Prius v. The photo shows the cut needed. cutout of cat defender plate needed for Prius v.JPG cutaway of plate for Prius v.JPG

#3 Georgina Rudkus, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    Robert Holt and icyrius like this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I installed the cat shield myself using jackstands at 4-corners, but I would not like to do it again. There was very little clearance to get under the car for the install, and I'm not a big guy.

It will be very tight work if you only use ramps in the front.

Unless you have a right angle drill, you might not have enough room to fit your drill + drill bit under the car to mount the rear shield, if only the front is lifted.

FYI, use some oil (motor oil is fine if you don't have cutting oil) on the drill bit when you drill into the rails for the back fasteners. It will keep the drill bit from overheating due to friction, and help the bit bite into the steel, making the drilling go much faster.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 xliderider, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    icyrius likes this.
  5. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all of your advice!

6. Scarface2005

Scarface2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I installed mine with a harbor freight 1 ton jack and two small harbor freight jack stands. I did not use the rivets. I used bolts from the local hardware store with grip tight nuts, the ones that can’t be hand threaded on or off.
    That way I can remove it if I ever need to. Theoretically so could a thief, but it would take him 30 minutes under the non jacked up car to remove all of the nuts.

7. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you have to drill holes in the frame?