1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter stolen - replace it or replace the car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by neutronium, Nov 17, 2020.

1. neutronium

neutronium Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Folks
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to this request. My catalytic converter from my Toyota Prius 2008 model was stolen, and I am debating whether to fix it or get another Prius. Any perspectives would be really helpful.

Leaving the financials aside, I am looking for information like how long a Prius 2008 model lasts, do they require main battery replacement around certain mileage etc. My car has about 120 K miles when this happened.

Any tips / perspectives and suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you let us know what state you live in.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. neutronium

neutronium Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

There are numerous things that could go wrong with a 12 yr old vehicle, including the HV battery. How many more years were you looking to keep the vehicle, and what is the upper limit that you would like to spend on repairs outside of any additional catalytic converter replacements ?

Regarding HV battery longevity :
    • What is the mileage driven per day?
    • Have you ever cleaned the HV battery fan?
    • Do you often travel up and down hills/mountains?
    • Do you park it in the shade or within a garaged area?
    Going forward, do you have a DIY repair attitude or would you be using a local mechanic/dealer?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your options are greatly impacted by what state you live in due to there being a few different laws regarding OEM or aftermarket.
    For a 129k mile Gen 2? If the car is fairly well maintained, in decent condition and most important, you're happy with it, replacing the cat is the way to go.

6. neutronium

neutronium Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @SFO Thanks for the response. I am not a DIY guy when it comes to cars, and I intend to keep the car around for 5 more years if I could. My average mileage per week is about 150 - 200 max. I thought replaced cat converters had 5 year warranty, and I wonder what are some of the common things (big ticket items in particular) that typically go wrong with Prius 2008 beyond 120 K miles. Appreciate the insights.

@TMR-JWAP Thanks for your response. The state where this vehicle will be used is NY

7. neutronium

neutronium Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Also I wonder if there is any way to speculate how long a catalytic converter would last. For example, is there any data that suggests catalytic converters go bad after certain mileage? If someone purchases a used car, say at 65000 miles, should one check the catalytic converter before purchasing, or anticipate it would need replacement before the car hits the 100000 miles mark? I understand it is not possible to exactly predict some of these, but is there any general consensus or observation on how long catalytic converters last in a new car?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do not live in a CARB state, it can be much cheaper to fix the cat converter.
    2008 could have some good years left.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, the OP is in NY which has signed up to CARB regs.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NY is a CARB state, but they're not as wackadoodle about it as the left-coast folks are, and depending on what part of the state you live in the VET isn't quite as invasive as Caly's is.

So.....

In New YOWK! the cat replacement will cost you hundreds......as little as two or three hundred if you shop wisely.
    In the California? You're looking at well over $1,000.

As for whether or not this will cause you to sign an DNR for your G2 and let them unplug it?

.....your call.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    NY State has the same targets and the same motivations, but they don't have the same panache (or budget) for enforcement. If you install a cat that works well enough to convince the car's own ECU that the overall emissions system is working, you'll be fine.