1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

catalytic converter stolen what parts do I need?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by terramir, Mar 26, 2021.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys I got the catalytic converter assembly from a toyota dealer, just bought bolts gaskets and and the rubber mounting things from autozone, but I do not know I seem to remember that there should be some kinda grid part that protects the catalytic converter I saw on the blowup part assembly photo I might be wrong can't find that paper they printed out when I picked up my converter assembly I bought from the dealer in thousand oaks online. Got a generic bosch sensor on ebay that should do.
    IMG_0418.jpg
    Also making my own shield
    Let me know if I am missing something I don't want to screw up the catalytic converter
    terramir

2. Socal_Prius

Socal_Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The heat shields? They're as follows:

5: front - 58151-12220
    6: rear - 58327-47010

[​IMG]
    I'm surprised you got one, I got several emails stating they were on back order for some time (looking late Summer to early Fall), did you just order it and got in recently? Was it the 2.2k price, or did you pay more to get it sooner?

I'd go with an OEM 'donut' gasket (2) 17451-21060 and downstream O2 sensor (89465-47070) if it were me, having it leak because of a less than snug fit to the exhaust manifold is annoying and will be just as expensive as getting it installed if it has to be refitted. I decided to run to Toyota and get that gasket on my gf's car as it was on the rack as the old gasket was pretty worn after 180k a common issue and can trigger the check engine light unexpectedly according to the guys who did the work.

You're going to want to make little windows to expose the part numbers on the catalytic converters, in CA it's an instant fail if they cannot visually inspect and verify it as an OEM unit and apparently they will not take off the shield.

Otherwise, looking good: you do any other fab work?

3. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The heat shields were not stolen so there already installed, as for the catalytic converter I bought it a few months ago, and well I bought it online and picked it up in thousand oaks. it cost me the following
    Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
    17410-21500 Exhaust Pipe $1,565.41 1 $1,565.41

Subtotal: $1,565.41
    Local Pickup: Free
    Tax: $113.49

Total: $1,678.90

it is now listed for 1585.64 https://parts.totoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-exhaust-pipe-1741021500 the shipping is like 115+ bucks if you don't pick it up (locally in LA no clue about further distances).

As for the EO markings they should be visible through those slots I cut, but the smog guy is gonna hate me that he's gonna have to get on his back and actually look, instead of using a mirror.
    As for doing other metal work it's more like a hobby. I just couldn't afford 160 bucks more for a 20 buck metal plate (mind you the plate is actually a little thicker than the cat shield one, theirs is like 0.80 and mine is 0.90.
    one plan I got is off setting the mounting screws a little bit and painting the sides with under body paint so they can't drill them out.

4. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well the bolts look right the bigger gasket seems right but the supposed rear one distinctly does not look here IMG_0419.jpg
    I found that one bolt on some kinda cross member when I looked under the car the other one got lost so I'll use the two new ones for the front

5. Socal_Prius

Socal_Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, I can order them all day but I'd get emails my order had been canceled not long after due to the back order. I'll reach out tomorrow, maybe these are all backstock they recently found, it would explain the significant discount, but maybe this Toyota trying to counter act the large theft spree? Not sure, I'll ask.

Cool, dude, lets see how it works out once you mount it on, keep us posted, is your smog due soon? If it were me I'd put it on right afterward. At least then you got another 2 years to not worry about it.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That more than likely won't do. Get the genuine OEM or the equivalent Denso O2 sensor.

7. wasambi

wasambi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    watch out for the gas line when you install your catshield. When they were installing my Millercat cat shield, the mechanic had to drill a hole in the steel frame and they mentioned there's a gas line behind one of the areas that require drilling.