1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic converter stolen what to do

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by normannager, May 4, 2019.

1. normannager

normannager Junior Member

I am hearing about more and more catalytic converters being stolen from Priuses
    question #1 can the car drive if the catalytic converter is missing ?
    Question #2 is it safe to drive the car or should it be towed
    Question #3 how do you know if the catalytic converters been stolen from your car does it make an odd noise like a missing piece of the exhaust system?
    Thank you!!

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) Yes. Car will NOT be happy.
    2) NO, b/c of exhaust gasses entering the car. Have you heard of carbonmonoxide?
    3) YES. Car will be loud, not sound right, and warning lights will be displayed.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mostly, this is a California issue, CARB only allows approved cats, none are approved for the Prius but Toyota's. ($1600) In the other states, you can buy an aftermarket cat for under $400.
    So, in the US, California is the prime theft area

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where are you locate?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I'm thinking #2 is "your car will be like a 1960s car without a muffler." Not much real danger of CO unless you idle in a closed garage. Probably MUCH more dangerous to NOT drive out of the area where your cat just got pinched (unless it was from your own driveway). I certainly wouldn't want to be unexpected trying to hike out a area after being hit with crime, and wouldn't want to leave my car there either.

PS-Last time I reported a stolen car in Oakland, they said nothing would even be "in the system" until I could wait for several hours or DAYS for a cop to respond and "take the report". AFAIK, accept for putting a "see person about theft report in 120 Maple Lane" on some cops list, there was no other support.