1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter Theft, Parts and Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by booi, Jun 2, 2020.

1. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

I just got off a "chat" with Magnaflow. They indicated that for models with EFN: 8TYXV01.5HC3, they offer the following:

# 5631752 (Direct Fit) $2950

# 5631406 (front weld-in) $1675

# 5671405 (rear weld-in) $507

I think the bastards got both of mine. There are two cats forward of the resonator, right?

#41 DaveGoodrich, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Only the front, odd, experienced thieves wouldn't take one. Are you sure. The 2 smaller ones are the cat, not the long one.

Attached Files:

#42 alftoy, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  3. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Yeah, I just edited my post. They got both of the cats.

4. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Dealer estimate to replace cat/sensors is $3300, parts and labor. The Toyota cat is actually cheaper than the Magnaflow direct fit CA replacement. Insurance will pay, but I have $1k deductible. Oh well, what else am I going to get for $1k. The dealer is going to try to get a cat guard/shield included in the repair claim. He said it has worked about 50/50 on past claims.

5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's even a good year car. I'm trying to resurrect my car. Mine runs perfect besides a missing catalytic...

6. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I finally got the chance to get underneath and check out the car. I got a 2007 prius with someone took out the catalytic converter and I need help o get the parts for my car. Finally had the chance to get underneath, take a photo and measurements. Never the less here are the specs and pictures.
    PS. I still have the old donut, both flange bolts and springs.
    Never the less here are the specs and pictures.
    PS. I still have the old donut, both flange bolts and springs.
    what I don't have is the catalytic assembly, the o2 sensor and the connecting plug for the 4-prong wires?
    Do I need a reducer to fit the size of the back resonator/muffler which is a 1.68 inch outer diameter?
    Thanks... CCG

Specs:
    2007 Prius
    CF Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat Port
    FE 50 State Emissions Factory
    NW Package #6 Includes

Catalytic parts and specs: (I just measure this with a caliper)
    flange mouth diameter: 2.4 inches
    muffler / resonator pipe tube diameter:
    1.68 inches (outer)
    1.58 inches (inner)
    O2 sensor wire 4-prong (black, black, blue, white)
    Picture Link

#46 Classic Car Guy, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Any of the converters that TMR-JWAP referenced above will fit, as well as Amazon Autosaver88 converter. TMR also referenced O2 from Rockauto, comes with the plug

8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's one guy with a comprehensive YouTube video showing his install of the Autosaver88 cat.

9. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right on guys!... Now I understand that the extended wire nd connector is included in the u2 sensor. The only thing I need to get is the adapter reducer to fit the 1.7 pipe connection

10. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    TMR’s Post #29 explains the mentioned converter slides over the existing pipe.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  11. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay I got all the parts coming for the 2007.
    I have a question on the 2018 prius. Do I also need to put a catalytic shield for it?
    Thanks..

12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Only if you want to try to keep it.

13. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Right on the money. I got it all done and its all perfect fit. I had the rear pipe welded in case. It feels like I have a new car. Thanks,

14. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure if this is possible. I use to have 42-45 mpg. With this new cat, it says I'm getting 48.5 mpg...?
    One thing I know about my car even I have 140k miles. It hardly even eat any oil every 4,500 miles oil change.

audiodave likes this.
  15. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have heard from 4 different people now that a new cat has increased there MPG. Even non OEM ones...I'm guessing the newer convertors do a better job/have more converting materials to be more efficient. A nice bonus to an already great car.

16. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My bad on my previous posting. The result is the same. There might be a better mileage difference well call it 1 mile extra but its not worthit in gas savings and especially to compromise the atmosphere. Nothing is better than the original catalytic.. So I reverse my claim. Sorry for the wrong posting.

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is one thing better than the original catalytic converter, and that's actually having one. In the current world, those with originals are just theft statistics waiting to happen. An aftermarket cat that performs per 48 state gov regs and doesn't code while running is getting the job done well enough. I can't get upset about a kid letting out a single drop of pee in a pool if there's 50 other people all around the kid peeing like horses. As much as we want to believe it makes a difference in the pool, it really doesn't. The effort and expense we're throwing at the problem in the US, trying to get the last little dregs of improvement is crazy. What might get 1% emissions improvement in the US could get 50% improvement in a country with massive population driving a bunch of sh*t boxes.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live in the northwest pacific with 6 months or rain and considered as "wetland" so no problem on my end
    BTW... The catalytic that I got was and OJ snug fit. Seriously! But I still have them spot weld it into 4 places.
    Realistically I don't know how long will this last especially for the price I paid. I have an 85 Toyota pickup that I use for home improvement works. I replaced the complete exhaust after the flange. It was all bolt-in for less than 100.00 bucks. After 3 years, its dead. You get what you paid for right...?

19. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If anyone is interested.
    sawed off old muffler / resonator pipe tube diameter is 1.68 inches (outer)
    The new catalytic converter assembly I got fits like a glove. Literally no welded need and most people just use the clamp prodvided and it works fine. Anyways I brought mine to the muffler shop and I just had them spot weld it in 4 places. The new converter comes with all the kits nessesary like the new bots, springs and o-ring flange gasket. I used th old ones including the flange gasket. If the old gasket is still good and not chipped, its better to use it than the new aftermarket supplied ones. When installing, youll have to play with it and make the gasket sit and anchor the mating part flushed 100% so you wont get any exhaust leak.

Catalytic Converter Fit 04 - 09 Toyota Prius 1.5L L4, Quality Flow Converter
    Catalytic Converter Fit 04 - 09 Toyota Prius 1.5L L4, Quality Flow Converter | eBay
    $139.99 + Free shipping

Toyota Prius Hybrid 04-09 Oxygen Sensor Genuine OEM OE Used working downstream
    Toyota Prius Hybrid 04-09 Oxygen Sensor Genuine OEM OE Used working downstream | eBay
    15.00 + Free shipping

Optional but I bought it anyway.. Took me 25 mins to install this.
    79.90 + 19.99 shipping
    For 2004-09 Toyota Prius Catalytic Converter Anti Theft Protection Cover Shield
    For 2004-09 Toyota Prius Catalytic Converter Anti Theft Protection Cover Shield | eBay

20. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As it was inevitable for the 16 years I own my Prius, they stole my catalytic converter on my 2006 Prius in my own driveway yesterday. I guess they are getting desperate to get OEM catalysts and they take now a lot of risk to work in a driveway with us inside and a busy neighborhood.

Thanks to all suggestions here about the aftermarket catalysts which bring the repair to under $200 and a pretty straight forward installation for an average DIY person. However, I decided to go thru my comprehensive insurance with a $500 deductible as there is no fault or rate increase risk. The cost would be between $2500-$4000. I will know next week and I hope the OEM part is not back ordered.

They unbolted the front bolts and they sawcutted the pipe between the catalyst and the resonator. Two guys in hoodies in August. 1A5D2563-6A65-47A3-8369-F607CD4C15BD.jpeg 6EEA7D64-D1E9-49B9-AC32-C70BBCF1F03A.jpeg