1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter Theft Victim

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Carlos Delta Forbes, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Carlos Delta Forbes

Carlos Delta Forbes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hello all.

Yes. I am a new entrant into the growing club of being a victim of a Catalytic Converter theft on my beloved Toyota Prius 2009 2nd generation.

The criminals that run our country (UK) have destroyed our currency so much that degenerates have an incentive to remove a part from our cars so they can sell valuable metals on the black market.

Congratulations Bank Of England and UK Government PLC. Keep up the good work!!!

I live in the South West UK in a rural area so never expected it here. Cesspits that are over and densely populated like London and Birmingham and all other major cities where anyone with half a brain does not wish to live yes but not here. I guess the whole country is destroyed these days.

Anyway, reported the theft to my insurance company here in the UK and they are going to repair it which I am glad about as I was worried they might write off the vehicle.

However, there is a back order for genuine part catalytic converters on Toyota Prii and Auris hybrids with a 4-6 week waiting time (total joke).

The insurance company say they won't offer a courtesy car as they can get the car repaired with an aftermarket part straight away so will be getting a non genuine Toyota part.

I asked them on the guarantee issue and apparently it comes with a lifetime guarantee on the repair even though it is non genuine part so not all bad I suppose.

Questions.

Does anyone know if non genuine part catalytic converters are stolen from Toyota Prius vehicles too?

Are these thieves sophisticated enough to even recognize the difference in quality of these cats?

Thinking about where I need to park the car in the future as I don't want to be a victim of this crime again.

I will be paying £400 excess on this repair so not a good weekend for me.

Semi rant over.

2. The Lizard King

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your post would've been more effective if you would've kept your political commentary to yourself.

Hope this helps.

dancingbrave likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't put a lot of money on the bet that the low-lifes could tell the difference between a genuine part and an aftermarket part, so I'd also be looking at some kind of cat lock/screen deterrent device after installing a new CC and O2 sensor.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually your anti-political commentary is far more lothesome. What's going on in the UK right now is unbelievable and unprecedented. No modern country in the world has ever let itself get destroyed by corruption in so many ways so quickly. I suggest informing yourself on the serious level of crisis going on over there before you tell people to shut up about it.

My heart goes out to the people of the UK and the relentless attacks they're going through right now:

"The UK economy suffered its biggest slump in more than three centuries last year, with GDP falling by nearly 10% over the course of 2020. That means the Covid-19 pandemic has effectively wiped out all growth in the United Kingdom over the last 7 years, returning the economy close to the size it was in 2013. The 9.9% slump in UK GDP was less severe than expected but still surpassed the 9.7% collapse experienced during the Great Depression in 1921, making it the worst annual drop since 1709, according to a Bank of England database." cnn.com/2021/02/12/economy/uk-gdp-record-fall/index.html

"The City of London’s astonishing exemption from the UK’s freedom of information laws creates an extra ring of secrecy. The UK also appears to be the money-laundering capital of the world. In a devastating article, Oliver Bullough revealed how easy it has become to hide your stolen loot and fraudulent schemes here, using a giant loophole in company law: no one checks the ownership details you enter when creating your company. You can, literally, call yourself Mickey Mouse, with a registered address on Mars, and get away with it." If you think the UK isn't corrupt, you haven't looked hard enough | George Monbiot | The Guardian

#4 PriusCamper, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota supply line for OEM is in such tatters right now that even Toyota Stealerships are installing after-market non-OEM cats. These are unprecedented times and sometimes people get their cats stolen more than once regardless of aftermarket or OEM. Adding a motion detector alarm to your car and ensuring they can't easily cut the wires to the horn can help. Also a cat shield slows them down too.

6. Carlos Delta Forbes

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Yes. Exactly what I was thinking.

Do those locks really act as a deterrent?

Can anyone offer any data on how much longer it takes to remove the cats with those locks installed?

My thinking is they are still going to steal the things unless it takes them more than an hour to remove the locks which I think is highly unlikely.

dolj likes this.
  7. Carlos Delta Forbes

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    What a mess!!

I might reluctantly have to sell the Prius.

I don't have the privilege of a garage so might have to replace it with a cheap run-around.

Maybe I will keep the Prius and if it gets stolen a second time then decide to offload it.

Catch-22 situation.

#7 Carlos Delta Forbes, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's plenty of prius owners that will never know about it and never be a theft victim and live on their lives happy and content as though the problem never existed. Then there's those of us who spend way too much time thinking about every nuance and detail and if you look at the theft numbers in relation to how many Prius out there, odds are very much in your favor of it never being an issue.

9. Carlos Delta Forbes

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Not seen the data but your thoughts are reassuring.

I really don't want to part with the Prius.

It's a great vehicle and in my opinion there is no competition in relation to reliability, cheap running costs and enjoyment of driving the vehicle.

10. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man I can empathize dude. I live in a nice area and it was stolen in the dead of night. No way would I guess I would be a victim but you never know. It happened this past February. Anyway I would think the thief’s are acting quickly and they won’t tell the difference between aftermzker and factory cat. I definitely recommend reinforcing security. Bars, razor wire, shields, alarm with tilt sensor. Anything to keep it safe.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can also get custom bumper stickers made to put on the car. One on the rear bumper and maybe on the side of the car down low where they would easily see it when attempting to jack up the car. Something simple like "Aftermarket catalytic converter installed"

Beige Bruiser likes this.
  12. Beige Bruiser

Beige Bruiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Oakland CA without a garage and my cat was stolen 4x in a single year. Each time the insurance covered the cost minus deductible and all the time I wasted. I have tried the shield and "the cage" which cost $550. This last time, I was so fed up I took it to a driveway mechanic and had an eBay cat installed that cost around $100. I was on the fence about what to do but I wanted to do something different otherwise I knew I'd be back at my regular mechanics in month.

I have attached signs to my windows announcing that it's a cheap eBay cat not worth stealing. Crossing my fingers, Maybe I'll get bumper sticker -

Here's my question: there's a smell inside, slightly like exhaust and kind of like that bad smell after the cat has been removed. It goes away if I use the fan (or heat or AC). What is this about and is it related to this after market cat?

Also when my last Toyota cat was stolen, many of the lights went on on the dash and they are still on.

Is there a way to test to see if anything toxic is leaking into the air inside the car as it drives?

Thanks ...

13. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Park your car in a puddle. Wrap cat with a loose bike chain. barbed wire and metal. See Mendel Lisks signature's. Or you can also put something undesirable......poop, peanut butter, MOT paperwork, etc on the ground under the car to make it harder to gt under the car without being damage. Also I have heard of painting the new cat Hi Temp orange. some even have window sticker about good cat stolen, shitty cat installed,,,,YOU ALREADY STOLE IT.