1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter Theft

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Robina, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Robina

Robina New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is Toyota planning to do anything to protect catalytic converters from being stolen? Why is there no VIN number on them? Given that thieves can steal them in less than one minute, this is almost as bad as selling a car without door locks. And they cause over $2000 worth of damage, which is more than anything I leave sitting in my car. I love my 2015 Prius,but I(and I'm sure others) are not going to be buying any more Prii until Toyota deals with this issue via a recall. Surely it's in their best interest to install a plate, alarm, or something else to make it considerably harder to steal!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's kind of like asking if walmart is going to do anything to address the fact that their employees can't make ends meet on starvation wages...

More to your point:

A manufacturer is in no way liable for selling something that eventually turns into something that thieves love to steal. Quite the opposite really: Toyota stealerships are making massive $$$$s by ripping people off with brand new OEM prices that most can't afford.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What’s in their best interest is to maximize profits.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    until people are dying and or causing accidents result of this type of thief, Toyota will just sit back and swim in the dollar bills in their bank vaults that they continue to make.

Easy peasy, bump minimum wage to $15 an hour and reclassify it as “living wage” and then everybody can eat fruit from the same tree sitting blow the rainbows with unicorns flying.

#4 Grit, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2021
    PriusCamper likes this.
  5. Robina

Robina New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I said, this IS going to affect Toyota's bottom line, because more and more catalytic converters are being stolen. 3 have been stolen in my neighborhood *from Prii* in the last 2 weeks, and there was one unsuccessful attempt (which I think was my car!) I only know that because our police put out weekly reports and I've been talking to them. I live in a great (read: heavily patrolled and low-crime) area of a high crime city. I'm not the only one that is going to double and triple think about catalytic converters before buying another car. Toyota is basically selling a car with a $2000 device sitting in the front seat. Only it's easier to get the cat, because passerbys think it is just the owner changing the tire.

ElecTomato likes this.
  6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let’s put the blame on the California C.A.R.B.laws for mandating OEM replacement converters only. These stolen converters are not going to recyclers, there going to these pirate muffler shops. It’s the job of Law Enforcement to catch these SOB’s, not Toyota.

chronon likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much did it affect the makers of the trucks and SUVs that were being targeted before the Prius converters became the latest fad?

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Upgrade your comprehensive insurance. (y)

9. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I feel this really needs a political solution than a security/business solution...

Toyota can come up with a protection device, but it will be at an added cost to Prius buyers. So the question will be how much most buyers want to pay. Or maybe it should be an option, but that will be similar to what it is now.

In addition, what about other brands and models? Add a protection device to every car? Will consumers accept the cost increase? Only market will tell.

I have two Prii, and am really annoyed by the thieves. They even tried to cut off my Odyssey's catalytic converter last year. But I just feel it is a much bigger social / economical / political issue than a simple catalytic converter problem.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not a smirky question, what are some solutions you feel would alleviate this type of activity? Just some ideas if you have any, my inquirying mind wants to know.

11. Robina

Robina New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not nearly as much as it is affecting owners and makers of Prii, I bet. I would need to look up stats to be sure. I'll add it to my very long to-do list.

I have a $1000 deductible, and I like it that way. Anyways, making a $2000 claim when you can afford to pay it out of pocket is not a good financial decision.

#11 Robina, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2021
  12. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The issue is the number of places available to buy a converter that has been removed. Everyone who has been on Facebook has seen an ad advertising that people are buying converters and DPF’s. It is too lucrative right now to come up with an easy end to it.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang right it is....
    As soon as gas goes back over $2 a gallon, Toyota will sell every single hybrid that they make....AND they're going to sell OEM catalytic converters to the unfortunates that aren't able to replace the stolen cat with a $150 aftermarket unit.

Toyota is a global company, and the Prius is manufactured in Japan....where my finely honed Spidey senses inform me that catalytic converter theft is somewhat rarer, and they are often sold in nations where theft is dealt with a little more aggressively than in "progressive" nations....and "carb" is an outdated fuel metering device.

I do not see where they need to perform a "recall" because certain of their customers live in locations where crime and political corruption are rampant.
    This would be like making them buy you new tires because you live where there are lots of roofing nails on the road from storms....or new paint or glass if you live in places where 'mostly peaceful demonstrators' are advocating for political change.

If you want to harden your car against this, drive it to an exhaust shop and have some bar-stock or rebar welded to your pipes.
    This fix should be less than $100, and it should harden you against this type of theft.

#13 ETC(SS), Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  14. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    #14 PriusII&C, Mar 2, 2021
    Grit likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...you guys are leaning the wrong way.
    2014 California Proposition 47 - Wikipedia

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This would be more for existing owners of old Prii than for buyers of new cars. The new units have considerably less street value.
    ... and even a thread on PriusChat. :(
    These "businesses" are more typically the same sorts of illegal fencing operations that buy or make markets for all sorts of other stolen goods, than normal legal businesses.

=====================
    I just rechecked. That PriusChat thread offering to buy Gen2 Prius cats is still there. So are more recent posts elsewhere offering a higher price.

#16 fuzzy1, Mar 2, 2021
  17. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sad, but true. There are consequences with people's selections, not necessarily individually, but definitely collectively.:(

18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    priuschat is part of the problem, people here talk about how cats can be easily removed practically tutorials on here.

19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure that the thieves aren't getting their advice through this humble site. ;)

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look into $300 deductible?

One thing, if enough targeted owners have low-deductible comprehensive insurance, and make claims, the insurers will likely start lobbying the politicians, to get in gear and nail the perpetrators?

CR94 and Steves895 like this.