1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by gippah, May 20, 2011.

1. gippah

gippah New Member

A lot of us Classic owners have had the P0420 code, dead catalytic converter. We also had our jaws drop when we took it in to Toyota and were quoted $1200 for the part alone, with most of us then deciding to not make the repair....

Here's the scoop on it.

- The Prius has two catalytic converters. Only one of them, however, is monitored by the computer. This is the one closest to the engine.

- Toyota does not sell either catalytic converter separately for the Classic. Thus, when the catalytic converter goes out, Toyota replaces the entire exhaust assembly. This includes both catalytic converters, the resonator, the muffler, and all of the piping from the engine to the rear. This is why they charge so much for the part. (Though really they are still charging too much considering how they love to double or triple the labor hours).

- The 2nd catalytic converter is not replaceable with universal or 3rd party catalytic converters, but since it isn't monitored by the computer anyway, who cares?

- The 1st converter is replaceable with a universal catalytic converter, which means you can take it to any shop you want and get rid of that pesky P0420 code at a reasonable price.

On another note, other Toyota models that were manufactured in the same era as the Classic had a lot of P0420 codes, and the fix wasn't the converter, but the oxygen sensor. However, in my case, I am confident that it was the converter itself as I could smell exhaust on cold days.

SaraKellyHipHope likes this.
  2. fixitguy

fixitguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah I got the same code. Cleared and it never came back.
    I know a guy here in portland, that reconditions them.
    Cooks them at 600-800 degrees and somehow it cleans them
    so they are back to service.
    Call around to some muffler shops. Each state is sorta different.

My 2001 186,000 just one battery computer repair....Not $1100 from TOY, but $120
    from the used parts bin!!

SaraKellyHipHope likes this.
  3. bobofky

bobofky Member

I had this problem a few years ago. Replaced the oxygen sensor but that didn't cure the problem. Ordered an after market converter for about $100. No problems since.

kenoarto and SaraKellyHipHope like this.
  4. ansobu

ansobu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know of any way to "bypass" the P1436 (HCAC) code being thrown? I have tried lubing and the code comes back within 3-4 weeks each time. Is there a way to short the connection, or any way around the P1436 code being thrown?

5. Daniel powers

Daniel powers New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just had mine replaced, $429 half hour and out. In Austin, where I bought the Prius. Corvette Country in round rock best auto sale place ever.

6. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What was the cost of parts and labor?