1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Convertor Stolen Even with Cat Shield

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by SeattleBebop1, Mar 26, 2021.

1. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So I currently own a Prime, but I hold a soft spot in my heart for Gen 1 as I drove an '03 until I bought the Prime. Although Gen 4 cat thefts are rare (I have not verified any thefts), I do have security shield installed on mine.

Unfortunately, this is the first confirmation I've seen of a Prius with the shield getting the cat stolen. Press "F" to pay respects to u/mexicatl's Prius.
    Gen 1 ('02) in San Francisco, link to r/Prius thread. There are some interesting comments. CatSecurity is now also offering upgraded plates ("Ultimate Protection Upgrade")....

I guess if you build a better safe, they do indeed build a better thief.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer. what we need is cat insurance

3. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah, it sure seems like it. It's a darn epidemic. Our poor Prii.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Over the past couple of years, I've seen many caches of catalytic converters recovered from thieves. Fortunately, I have seen non that has been painted orange. Apparently, painting the car with orange header paint works.

view from front.JPG

Data Daedalus and SeattleBebop1 like this.
  5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    That sucks.
    The Guard is a deterrent and slowed them down, but they must have still been efficient?

How did they remove/ bend down the shield?
    Did they grind the rivet heads off?

6. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm thinking of taking an early retirement and getting schooled in cat theft as a second career.

bisco likes this.
  7. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In the thread on Reddit, there was speculation that the thieves had a specialized tool to drill out the rivets quickly.

8. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Aluminum rivets are easily drilled out with a low speed battery powered drill.

The way to go is with stainless steel rivets and washers. When installed, a drill bit will bite into the rivet's center hole but will spin, because there is not enough friction to keep it from doing so. A pair of diagonal pliers must be used to grab each rivet head to hold it to keep it from spinning. This makes removal of multiple rivets very tedious.

Fostel, Data Daedalus and WHCSC like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s what comprehensive insurance covers. With older cars the conventional wisdom is to drop collision and comprehensive, when insurance rivals the cars value. But something to consider.

bisco and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  10. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In South Carolina, we have incentive to keep comprehensive, because it covers 100% of a broken windshield replacement, even if there is a $500 deductible on other claims.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In BC, Canada, the main insurer is a semi-connected to the provincial government: ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia). Rates are “reasonable”, increases capped.

For our 2010, with $500 collision and $300 comprehensive, we’re looking at around $1200 yearly. That’s with safe driver and age discount.

(all numbers CDN)

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A cat shield is like a door lock.
    I suppose it will stop some of the rookies out there, but it will only slow down the pros.

Insurance......
    Even IF you have a “wind pool” (dot.gov acting as the insurer of last resort) then they are not going to tolerate punching out $1500 checks for $3000 cars over and over.
    Eventually they will start excluding this type of claim or they will price-adjust the comp coverage.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Until then, insurance up? And MAYBE, when they start digging in their heels someone will wake up the gov, nail these sob’s?

14. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  15. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That might work for some people, but there's been reports of older cars being "totaled" from just a cat robbery because the replacement costs more than the car's value.

Plus there's still the deductible, which if you lower that raises the premium.

I also would like to hear a confirmation on this but I've heard that places with high cat thefts have much higher insurance premiums. So in essence they just pass the cost on to the customers.

Thinking of my own situation I get penalized about $100 more per car per month ($200 for two cars) to have comprehensive. And that's with a $1,000 deductible. So if a cat replacement costs $3,400 then I'd need to have at least one theft a year to make it worthwhile. And that's not considering they might "total" the 2006 Prius because it's getting to the point it might not be worth $3,000 on paper even though I might be throwing in a brand new HV battery some time soon.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I do have a deductible of $500 for Comprehensive, but I'm only paying $25 total for Comprehensive over a 6 month policy period with Progressive. Seattle may not be as bad as California with cat thefts, but it's bad enough that the news runs a lot of coverage about it, we're definitely in the high hundreds of thefts at least. $100 per car per month for comprehensive seems insane....

17. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $100 is a rough guess. I'm 36, have one speeding ticket my whole life (7 years ago, one point for 9mph above speed limit in 40mph school zone) one other driver on the policy (wife who's actually a tad older) and my insurance premium for just one car (2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid) with comprehensive is $153 per month with a $1,000 deductible. And I've tried to shop around for better quotes but can't find any. I vaguely remember it being around $50 for just collision back when I had just the 1985 VW Golf diesel. Maybe it's more expensive here in Colorado? Any suggestions on how to lower it?

When I got the Prius and put it on with only basic collision it actually lowered my premiums by about $18 per month due to the monthly multi-car discount being greater than the collision-only premium. Now I pay $135 per month for two cars. Go figure.

I do want to ask how much it would cost to put the 2006 Prius on with comprehensive. But should I wait until I have the car's exterior fixed up? They'll probably ask if it has any damage, and right now it's in pretty poor shape due to a deer accident and hail damage (I bought it that way for $300).

#17 Isaac Zachary, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  18. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hmm, the school zone is bad and I can imagine they penalize more for that one. I have a more recent ticket (my only ticket) for 9 miles above the speed limit on the interstate (I learned my lesson, lol, was actually going more but cop marked me lower since I admitted my fault). I vaguely recall that the insurers asked if I had speeding tickets from the last 3 years.... 7 kind of seems like a long time to penalize you. I don't know how far back their systems can check your records.

I'm just a bit older than you. My insurance is $101 per month with $500 deductibles. I have a hard time imagining Colorado is more expensive than Seattle.... but there may be things about driving in your state that I'm not aware of, you do get a lot more winter weather conditions. Originally, I'm from Louisiana and my insurance was obscenely high (but the auto insurance industry ranks the state as the worst -- lots of DUIs and uninsured / unlicensed drivers).

The worst you can do is get a quote. If you haven't gotten a quote from Progressive before, I would try them. They are consistently friendly.

19. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did Progressive's online estimate.
    Going with exactly what I have now I'd save $3 a month. But that includes bundling it with my home owner's insurance which I need to call in to get that quote. So there's a chance that that could be $3 more and in the end the cost is the same.

By adding the Prius to comprehensive it only raised it $24 to $146. But that's with the same $1,000 deductible I have now. Making both have a $500 deductible puts me at $174 per month, or about $40 more. So no, it's not $100 per month for another car to be put on comprehensive.

Kelly Blue Book places my Prius' worth at $3,500, assumming I get it in "good condition." Looking around I see others of the same year in "good condition" going for $4,000. That's probably all the insurance company would pay, minus the deductible. So a $1,000 deductible means that if the repair cost is near $2,500-$3,000 then they'd probably just "total" it.

Decisions, decisions...

SeattleBebop1 likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe CAT theft could get specific peril status with insurers?