1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Convertor Stolen Even with Cat Shield

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by SeattleBebop1, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it an OEM Toyota catalytic converter? It seems hard to believe there's $900 OEM Toyota catalytic converters out there. I'd be interested in one for that price for sure, even if I have to drive half way across the country to get it.

2. Haddonhill

Haddonhill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep - Toyota OEM, the only legal cat we can install in California. I doubt you can get that price now.

upload_2021-5-2_10-31-44.png

SFO likes this.
  3. Haddonhill

Haddonhill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sorry - I didn’t make this clear. The “used one” is the vacuum actuator that attaches to cat for the HC bypass. The cat was new from Toyota.

4. mexicatl

mexicatl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got my car back this past Tuesday. It was out of commission for 41 days. About half that time was taken up negotiating with the insurance and the remainder just waiting for the new cat. I strongly encourage folks to push back on total losses. Beside the inconvenience, I just paid my deductible. My garage was even able to get the old plate installed once again and they added new rivets, which will hopefully dissuade casual thieves. It will be parked indoors going forward. I hope I can get another few years out of this car!

Attached Files:

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  5. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad it's working out for you! Keep us up to date on how it goes from here!

mexicatl likes this.
  6. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sorry, what is the benefit to you if you drop the claim? And how is it detrimental to them?

7. mexicatl

mexicatl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They settled the claim, so I didn't need to drop the claim. But if they had not been willing to settle without totaling the car, then dropping the claim would have prevented the total loss (which would have avoided either getting a new car or trying to revive and reinsure a totaled car). As far detrimental to them, I am guessing there are some metrics around dropped claims and the fear of complaints to regulators.

8. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they would also lose a client that would also mention his loss on an internet forum and cause several others to decide not to get insurance through them. :cautious:

9. Toymota

Toymota New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah man, government induced problem is totally going to have government induced solution to go along with it .. you just wait

Mendel Leisk likes this.